Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2009/04/06 19:13:42 UTC

Stacktraces from watchdog

Heya!

Otherwise, these seem to be a really nice idea, but... I just got home
to find 3153 ERROR level messages from jspwiki waiting in my mailbox
with all possible stacktraces.  Which means that it's essentially
impossible to find anything useful from those messages.

Could we have all the stack traces as a single message at least?  Any
other improvement ideas?

/Janne

Re: Stacktraces from watchdog

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/6 Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>

> On 6 Apr 2009, at 20:24, Harry Metske wrote:
>
>  Having those amount of "timed-out threads" is not good in the first place,
>> what type of errors are those, could you send me a couple of them ?

But what is actually happening on www.jspwiki.org causing these enormous
amount of timeouts, I never see them on my wiki's (not that they really
compare).
Are you running with loglevel INFO or higher BTW ?  (that will dump
stacktraces of all threads on each timeout)
Or maybe the timeout values are too small ?

>> Then, sending them to a mailbox is also not such a good idea :-)
>>

> Well, I've got all ERRORs or above sent to in my mailbox so I can see if
> something is wrong.
>
>  - changing the loglevel for these messages from error to warn, so you have
>> the option to let them not be mailed to you
>>

> I would actually turn them into DEBUG - after all, that's what they're
> really for.
>
>  - build in some kind of throttling/thresholding, so logging if more than
>> xx
>> number of timeouts per minute or something like that
>>

> Perhaps. Though, looking at them it looks like if the stacktraces were just
> collected to a single String and then logged out as a single entity, it
> would be a lot nicer. Would be easier to look for too in the log file.

you mean stripping out the "\n" ?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Having those amount of "timed-out threads" is not good in the first place,
what type of errors are those, could you send me a couple of them ?
Then, sending them to a mailbox is also not such a good idea :-)

But, a few options :

- changing the loglevel for these messages from error to warn, so you have
the option to let them not be mailed to you
- build in some kind of throttling/thresholding, so logging if more than xx
number of timeouts per minute or something like that

Harry