Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/04/04 16:38:43 UTC

Promoting the New AOO Translations

We have several new language translations which will be released in
Apache OpenOffice 4.1:

Bulgarian (bg)
Danish (da)
Hebrew (he)
Hindi (hi)
Kazakh (kk)
Norwegian Bokmål (nb)
Thai (th)

These translations are all due to the hard work and dedication of
volunteers around the world, like you, carrying on the 14-year old
tradition that OpenOffice has for excellence in software localization.

Although we've done a great job creating the translations, we have not
always done a good job making users know about them.   I'm hoping we
can work together and find ways to promote this new 4.1 release to
users who will benefit most from the new translations.

How you can help:   Think about where a native Bulgarian, Danish,
Hebrew, Hindi, etc., speaker would go for tech news.  Are there online
or print publications in that language?  Influential bloggers?
Remember, journalists and blogger are always looking for news, for
stories they can share with their readers.

Depending on interest level, and what contacts we can find, we can
send them the AOO 4.1 press release (in English, or with your help,
translated), or maybe they might want to interview the translator, to
get their perspective on the project.

Another way you can help is to translate simple social media messages
into your language, so we can share the message on Twitter and
Facebook.

For example:

"Apache OpenOffice now supports <language>!  Download it for free
here: http://www.openoffice.org/download"

Any other ideas for how we can promote the new translations?

Note:  the same techniques apply to existing translations as well.  We
should ask ourselves, who covers tech news in this languages?

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Promoting the New AOO Translations

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Rob Weir  wrote:

> We have several new language translations which will be released in
> Apache OpenOffice 4.1: [...]
>
> Although we've done a great job creating the translations, we have not
> always done a good job making users know about them. [...]
> How you can help: Think about where a native Bulgarian, Danish,
> Hebrew, Hindi, etc., speaker would go for tech news. [...] we can
> send them the AOO 4.1 press release (in English, or with your help,
> translated) [...]
>
> Another way you can help is to translate simple social media messages
> into your language, so we can share the message on Twitter and
> Facebook. For example: "Apache OpenOffice now supports <language>!
>  Download it for free
> here: http://www.openoffice.org/download"

Any other ideas for how we can promote the new translations?

Good thinking Rob. Count me in for Hebrew SN message translations. e.g.
your above mentioned message is translated to:
״Apache OpenOffice תומך כעת בעברית! הורדה בחינם דרך
http://www.openoffice.org/download״

Here are some *contacts, for the promotion of the Hebrew translation:*

   - Oded Yaron (odedya@gmail.com), editor of the Captain Internet section,
   Haaretz newspaper;
   - Sami Perez (sami.peretz@themarker.com), editor of The Marker magazine,
   Haaretz newspaper;
   - computers@y-i.co.il is the Computers news staff of
   http://www.ynet.co.il, a major newsite in Israel;
   - Galit Hemi (galit.hemi@calcalist.co.il), editor of the Calcalist, an
   economy magazine of another major press player; (tech. writers:
   omer.kabir@calcalist.co.il, harel.eilam@calcalist.co.il, )
   - Ido Solomon (idos@news2.co.il) is a tech. reporter of the TV Channel 2
   news team;
   Matan Hetzroni (matanh@ch2news.tv) is an online reporter of the same
   Channel 2 team;

*Other ideas:*

   - The Download page can be be also translated, to make it easier for
   people that don't read English, or offer a Hebrew version, by identifying
   browser default lang (or other idea).
   Note: the Download page could be simplified; too many links can scare
   new users (for inspiration: Firefox.com, chrome.com);
   - Links to "Native Languages" from OpenOffice homepage should be more
   easier (a select box with flags/language list? auto-redirection according
   to browser default lang? ...);

Good luck to us all :)
Tal