Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Joines <su...@bus.okstate.edu> on 2005/07/07 21:01:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: mod_proxy performance tips needed

Jason Joines wrote:
>    I'm attempting to use mod_proxy under Apache 2.0.52 with the prefork
> MPM on SuSE Linux 8.1 to reverse proxy connections to the File Manager
> module of a Usermin 1.140 server running on SuSE Linux 9.2.  The Apache
> server and the Usermin server are both using SSL.
>
>    The Apache server is a PIII 1 GHz with 1 GB of RAM.  Both servers and
> various test clients are all plugged into the same ethernet switch.  I'm
> using various copies of a 128 MB file on the Usermin server to check
> speeds.  If I download the file to either the client or the Apache
> server from the Usermin server directly, the average speed always
> exceeds 6 MB/s.  However, downloading to the client via the proxy on the
> Apache server with these settings in my SSL VirtualHost section drops
> the speed to 0.023 MB/s:
>
> SSLProxyEngine on
> ProxyRequests Off
>  <Proxy *>
>    Order deny,allow
>    Allow from all
>  </Proxy>
> ProxyPass /ourfiles https://userminserver:20000
> ProxyPassReverse /ourfiles https://userminserver:20000
>
>      I tried adding "ProxyReceiveBufferSize 2048" and the speed
> increased to 0.048 MB/s.  ProxyRecieveBufferSize values of 4096, 8192
> and 16384 yielded respective speeds of 0.049 MB/s, 0.053 MB/s and 0.24
> MB/s.
>
>    In each case, the download starts just as fast as the direct
> connections.  The first 10 MB or so are almost instantaneous.  However,
> the speed steadily declines.  In each case other than
> "ProxyReceiveBufferSize 16384", I killed the download off at about 70 MB
> as it had ground nearly to a halt.
>
>    I guess I can keep keep bumping the ProxyReceiveBufferSize up but I'm
> concerned  about what other impacts this might have on the Apache server
> as performing this proxy is not it's only task in life.  Any suggestions
> would be much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason Joines

	I reran all the tests and this time the results were different.  16384
was one of the slowest settings.  It seemed changing
ProxyReceiveBufferSize wasn't really having any affect.

	I tried disabling SSL on the target box and that fixed the problem.
Proxy speeds are no near direct connect speeds.

Jason