Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Daugherty, William" <WD...@fictx.com> on 2002/03/07 15:02:49 UTC

Configuring Apache Virtual Hosts

All,

Well first I would like to say hello and then thanks for being here to
assist people like me with our apache issues.  Now I will give you
background on my setup then describe the issue I am having.  I am running a
Mandrake Linux 8.1 and installed Apache Extranet Server Product ver. 1.3.19
during install of the OS.  Apache does currently work when trying to serve
up a single page from /var/www/html directory.  However I do appear to be
having great difficulty when attempting to create virtual name hosts.  I
have also changed my DNS entry for this www virtual host to CNAME record
instead of A record as I thought this might have had some bearing but
evidently not.

When I go into my httpd.conf file (which resides in /etc/httpd/conf) and go
to configure a vhost it tells me (commented) that they have created a
separate file for creating vhosts @ ./vhosts/Vhost.conf and I should make my
modifications there.  I have created a new directory for my new virtual host
(www) to be served at /home/duce/www/ and I place a test 'index.htm' file in
that directory so I could see when it was configured properly.  When I
create the virtual name host entry in the Vhost.conf file I save the file
and I get out 'vi' to try accessing the page from a browser.  The page
automatically shows me the default apache 'index.htm' instead of the one I
had previously placed in the directory.  This to me suggests that the
Virtual host is still pointing to the file /var/www/html/index.htm instead
of /home/duce/www/index.htm .  I am greatly frustrated and would appreciate
any help I can get even if it is only a virtual smack up side the head.  I
have read the O'Reily book on installing and configuring Apache in my
attempts to configure this piece (Virtual Hosts) and I have configured the
'.conf' the way the book has said but so far I have had no visible success.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Bill

RE: Configuring Apache Virtual Hosts

Posted by Bryan Henry <br...@mail.utexas.edu>.
are you trying to:
point http://your.website.com 	-> to /var/www/html
and   http://your.website.com/www 	-> to /home/duce/www/
??  no??

If you are trying to:
point http://your.website.com 	-> to /home/duce/www/

then set your .conf file with this
DocumentRoot "/home/duce/www" 	<- note, no trailing slash

~ bryan