Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Anirudha Khanna <ak...@marinsoftware.com> on 2015/05/21 13:37:10 UTC

WHERE filter on VARCHAR

Hi All,

Have a question regarding a Where clause filter on a string(varchar)
column. My table is as follows,

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS TEST1 (
"id" UNSIGNED_LONG NOT NULL,
"status" VARCHAR, CONSTRAINT "pk_1" PRIMARY KEY ("id")) VERSIONS = 2;

The table is populated to look like,
0: jdbc:phoenix:localhost> select * from TEST1;
+-----+----------+
| id  |  status  |
+-----+----------+
| 1   | live     |
| 2   | deleted  |
| 3   |          |            <-- row has status == NULL
+-----+----------+

Now if I want all the rows that do not have status as deleted, I use the
query, *select * from TEST1 where "status" != 'deleted';*
But this returns me only 1 row,
0: jdbc:phoenix:localhost> select * from TEST1 where "status" != 'deleted';
+-----+---------+
| id  | status  |
+-----+---------+
| 1   | live    |
+-----+---------+

Why is the row with a NULL status being filtered out?

Help appreciated.

Cheers,
Anirudha

Re: WHERE filter on VARCHAR

Posted by Alicia Shu <as...@hortonworks.com>.
In your case, the "status" is nullable. You can get all the results back by using:

select * from TEST1 where "status" != 'deleted' or "status" is null;

Alicia

From: Sergey Belousov <se...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 5:45 AM
To: "user@phoenix.apache.org<ma...@phoenix.apache.org>" <us...@phoenix.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: WHERE filter on VARCHAR

Because NULL is not equal != 'deleted'.
Most databases I worked with treat null in such way (behaviour can be configured)
use http://phoenix.apache.org/language/functions.html#coalesce

In the ANSI SQL standard, the value of NULL is defined as unknown. It is not equal to anything, not even another NULL value. Also, a null value is never not equal to another value. By default, T-SQL adopts the same behavior, but it can be turned off using the SET ANSI_NULLS OFFcommand or setting the database ANSI_NULLS option. In addition, certain database operations cannot or should not be performed if ANSI_NULLS is turned off. Therefore, it is safest to make all T-SQL code ANSI compliant.

http://www.hpenterprisesecurity.com/vulncat/en/vulncat/sql/code_correctness_erroneous_null_comparison_tsql.html

Re: WHERE filter on VARCHAR

Posted by Sergey Belousov <se...@gmail.com>.