Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> on 2013/06/07 07:00:43 UTC

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

On 31 May 2013 03:29, Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I know you have already looked into the code base, but I would thoroughly
> > recommend that you do some of the exercises on the website[1], and build
> > simple application, perhaps a photo sharing app (Slingstagram?), so that
> > you get a real understanding of how Sling works.
> >

> +1. I think that is good and which i have not tried out yet. I will try
> this out and will post if need help

Did you make any progress or have any problems ?
Ian

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi Dishara,

In Sling ( and OSGi environments) the best practice is to first use JUnit
test, then JUnit tests with Mocked services (using Mockito), then by
spinning up an OSGi Container using PAX Exam and finally with integration
tests that can run in a real instance. Ultimately testing with a real
application exercised by http scripts.  How many of those you use will
really depend on the level of coverage required.

 I would suggest for this project you start with JUnit tests and Mockito.
That might be all you need to verify the code you are writing.

Best Regards
Ian

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Dishara Wijewardana <
ddwijewardana@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:54 AM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dishara,
>> Thats great.
>> Two things that are relevant to your project that it would be good to have
>> a think about, try and implement and experiment with.
>>
>> 1. What happens when you have a very active blogger, who makes 20000 blog
>> posts a year ? Think about the content and how it is structured.
>>
>> 2. Can you add file upload to the blog ?
>>

>> 3. What would happen the blog was a photo sharing blog where a
>> photographer
>> had just come back from a location survey with a 32GB card full of low res
>> (0.5MB) Jpegs  ?
>>
>> Have a go at implementing the above and writing a script to simulate the
>> usage. You might want to write the test script in bash/python/ruby or even
>> Java.
>>

> +1. Very nice set of features to have to try out with Sling. Will try them
> out whenever possible during the implementation phase,
>

>> BTW. Your going to need a source repository. Have a look at Google Code,
>> GitHub, Bitbucket and get an account. If you could use Git or SVN that
>> would be great as I know they are both compatible with SVN.
>>
> +1 for Google Code.

Hi Ian
I created a google code svn project. Wouldn't I be need adding codes to
sling trunk ? I have to create ResourceProviders and etc in sling core. My

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi Dishara,

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

--
Thanks
/Dishara

Re: Apache Cassandra backend for Sling Accepted for GSoC 2013 !

Posted by Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:

> On 31 May 2013 03:29, Dishara Wijewardana <dd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I know you have already looked into the code base, but I would
> thoroughly
> > > recommend that you do some of the exercises on the website[1], and
> build
> > > simple application, perhaps a photo sharing app (Slingstagram?), so
> that
> > > you get a real understanding of how Sling works.
> > >

> > +1. I think that is good and which i have not tried out yet. I will try
> > this out and will post if need help
> >

> Did you make any progress or have any problems ?

Hi Ian,
Unfortunately not. Really sorry for that. I am still recovering from a
viral cold and heavy fever. Just able to login to check emails. Still under
treatment. Probably by Monday I will be all good to go and will start my
work ASAP and cover the work with extra time and make sure this will not
affect the time line.

--
Thanks
/Dishara