Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by gl...@socrates.Berkeley.EDU on 2000/09/28 01:28:34 UTC

Compiling JServ

I have two questions:

1) Can anybody offer a suggestion about what to do when I get this
message compiling jserv:

/tmp/ApacheJServ-1.1.2/src/java/org/apache/jserv/JServConnection.java:85:
org.apache.jserv.JServConnection should be declared abstract; it does not
define flushBuffer() in org.apache.jserv.JServConnection

2) Since Tomcat is itself a stand alone servlet engine, I am curious about
just what role jserv plays in an Apache/Tomcat configuration. If it is
there only to act as a go-between, then maybe I don't need to compile the
lastest version.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glen Jackson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                          {"""}
glen@socrates.berkeley.edu                        `0-0'   (Hah, missed me!)
IST-Museum Informatics Project        --------oOO---^---OOo-------
110 Doe Library

RE: Compiling JServ

Posted by Fernando Salazar <fs...@quickdot.com>.
The Java part of JServ -- ie, the servlet engine -- is not JSDK 2.1
compatible.
That's why you get the javac errors you listed below.
What you need to compile for Tomcat is mod_jserv, the Apache module.

What role does it play?  If you want to use Apache was the HTTP server
serving
up most of your static stuff, and at the same time use Tomcat as the servlet
engine, you need mod_jserv.  There's load balancing and other stuff you can
also get via mod_jserv.  If you don't need this setup, you can just use
Tomcat
as the HTTP server and servlet engine combined.

- Fernando