Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/08 12:09:21 UTC

Re: Encouraging Diversity - Update 1

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for the feedback. I think this topic has a lot of
dimensions and it depends how far we want to go with it, and simple is
always a good place to start.

I'm still in the process of gathering feedback, from IT Womens Groups,
Female Students and Developers to try to understand how and where we
could communicate to them and promote the ASF as welcoming place to be.
(As an example one idea that came in from the Pyladies group is that
each of our projects that use python could write an article or blog post
about themselves. Pyladies could then use that article or blog post as a
way to promote the ASF project to their members...)

On the existing statistics side, I'm currently working with Sally to put
forward a proposal for draft survey that we could use to survey our
members or committers. As you say we wont know how representative it
would be but we would have some concrete figures that we could use as a
base. I think that with this survey proposal we are trying to do
something new and as well as the statistics, another main purpose is to
see if this process of collecting information works and if it does, then
could it be something that any of our projects could repeat if they
wanted to.

I'll continue to work on this and post any updates.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/08/2016 05:09 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> Thanks very much for the feedback. I think this topic has a lot of
> dimensions and it depends how far we want to go with it, and simple is
> always a good place to start.
>
> I'm still in the process of gathering feedback, from IT Womens Groups,
> Female Students and Developers to try to understand how and where we
> could communicate to them and promote the ASF as welcoming place to be.

This is probably the *best* idea. Initial outreach and getting on board
with specific details in the new Help Wanted area are what is needed in
my opinion. The ASF has SO many projects! We need to do what we can to
ensure that desires to participate in open source by women, by anyone
really, is tailored to the individual's skills to produce a successful
outcome.

> (As an example one idea that came in from the Pyladies group is that
> each of our projects that use python could write an article or blog post
> about themselves. Pyladies could then use that article or blog post as a
> way to promote the ASF project to their members...)

SUPER!

> [...]
>>
>> 4. Of the more diverse projects, what are the social and technological
>> bits
>>     that those communities are doing right (or what did they simply
>> stumble
>>     into for a more appealing space to a more diverse group of
>> contributors?)
>>
>> 5. What are the obstacles to including more contributors on the committer
>>     lists and PMC rosters of our projects?
>>
>> 6. What are the obstacles to identifying the committer/PMC members of
>>     underrepresented projects to the foundation membership for inclusion?
>>
>> Few of these questions really speak to gender bias per se, and have been
>> active concerns of many members over the past 17 years. I think exploring
>> all of these questions with additional data collection about diversity
>> (gender,
>> geographic, etc) is always a worthwhile pursuit.

MzK

"Time spent with cats is never wasted."
                    -- Sigmund Freud