Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/07 09:26:37 UTC

Release plan (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

On 6/7/07, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [B] We have done one release in the incubator, but we have no current
> release plan. This is something that we need to discuss in a separate
> thread.

We need to discuss our release plan since this is one point required for
graduation, but also because it would be really nice for our user community
to better know where we intend to go.

Establishing a road map for an open source project where only volunteers are
involved is not easy, because we can't be sure of the time we (committers)
will be able to involve in the project. However, Here are some thoughts
about our roadmap.

First I think that it would really be nice if we could get graduated before
shipping our final 2.0 release. About the content, I think we need to
concentrate on code cleanup, bug fixing, and maven 2 compatibility. The
cache management issue is also the most voted issue and thus I think it
would really be nice to get it implemented for this 2.0 release.

According to the work involved, does a following road map make sense:
2.0-alpha-2
includes reviewed cache management + progress in code cleanup and bug fix,
API not stable yet
=> early july

2.0-beta-1
more bug fix and code cleanup, API almost stable, review of tutorials
=> late august

2.0-RC1
all major known bug fixed, code cleanup finished for its most important part
(including all removal of _), published API stable, tutorials and
documentation updated
=> late september

2.0-RCx
every two weeks, depending on the number of major bugs found

2.0 final
somewhere between october and november

With this schedule we would have approximately one year between Ivy
1.4.1and Ivy
2.0. This is long, but the migration to the ASF, code cleanup and some bug
fixes and improvement take time. Therefore this schedule seems to be
something achievable and reasonable.

WDYT?

Xavier

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/

Re: Release plan (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
We talked about releasing an alpha 2 version early july, is it still
something we want to do? It could be a good sign of progress for our users,
and we have a pretty good number of fix and improvements to release it "as
is" (it's still an alpha).

What do you think? Shall I plan to cut a release this week and submit it to
the vote?

Xavier

Creator of Ivy, xooki and xoocode.org
More about me: http://xhab.blogspot.com/

Re: Release plan (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2007/6/18, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>:
> On 6/18/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I agree with this :
> > 2.0-alpha-2 : (bug fix + code cleaning) early-july
> > 2.0-beta-1: (bug fix + code cleaning + tutorial) late august
> > 2.0-RC1 (all major bug fixed + code cleaned + tutorial/doc updated)
> > late septembre
> > 2.0-RCx (all major bug fixed) every 2 weeks
> > 2.0 final : october/november (why not exactly 1 year after the vote
> > that accepted ivy in the incubator project)
> >
> > However, I'm still thinking that we should give us more time before
> > publishing an API.  I think we could draft it, collect feedback from
> > it, but not yet release it.  My prefference would be to do a complete
> > API in a 3.0.
>

> I think it's a matter of words. I would like to get in the 2.0 version at
> least a statement saying what is considered public in the API, and thus for
> which we will maintain backward compatiblity in 2.x versions. Even if this
> is a very minimal scope. To get a clean and reviewed API, I think we agree
> that we'd need to call it a 3.0 version. So I see no problem with breaking
> even things we'd agree to say it's public in 2.0. But I think being able to
> at least run a resolve from the API with confidence of stability for
> the 2.xstream is not a huge work and would help some users.

I see your point.  Having a 2.0 also usable as a library with a
minimal API would be nice.  However, I'm not sure that offering
something and saying "it's minimal, and we already have in mind to
change it in 3.0" is a good idea. (I exagerate maybe a litle bit, but
that's the impression that I have).

What does the other people on this list think.

--
Gilles SCOKART

Re: Release plan (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2007/6/18, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>:
> Anyway, when this is agreed, we should reflect that in Jira.  I
> > propose to put all major bug scheduled for 2.0, and to create a
> > release "futur" for all other issue (or alternatively, we could close
> > them with a status "later").  Then, when we fiw an issue planned for
> > 2.0, we put it into the correct version 2.0-xxx.
>

> I agree we should reflect it in JIRA, but I'm not sure using a release
> "future" is a good idea. Isn't "unscheduled" good enough? IMO if we
> carefully review all issues to be sure the one targetted for 2.0 are
> assigned to 2.0, I think it's enough.
>
> Xavier

I moved all bug to the target 2.0.  When fixing it, we can
progressivaly put them in 2.0-xxx.  Note that I didn't reviewed all of
them.  So some might actually be new features or enhancements that we
could/should delay to an other release.

--
Gilles SCOKART

Re: Release plan (was Re: Steps toward graduation)

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/18/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with this :
> 2.0-alpha-2 : (bug fix + code cleaning) early-july
> 2.0-beta-1: (bug fix + code cleaning + tutorial) late august
> 2.0-RC1 (all major bug fixed + code cleaned + tutorial/doc updated)
> late septembre
> 2.0-RCx (all major bug fixed) every 2 weeks
> 2.0 final : october/november (why not exactly 1 year after the vote
> that accepted ivy in the incubator project)
>
> However, I'm still thinking that we should give us more time before
> publishing an API.  I think we could draft it, collect feedback from
> it, but not yet release it.  My prefference would be to do a complete
> API in a 3.0.

I think it's a matter of words. I would like to get in the 2.0 version at
least a statement saying what is considered public in the API, and thus for
which we will maintain backward compatiblity in 2.x versions. Even if this
is a very minimal scope. To get a clean and reviewed API, I think we agree
that we'd need to call it a 3.0 version. So I see no problem with breaking
even things we'd agree to say it's public in 2.0. But I think being able to
at least run a resolve from the API with confidence of stability for
the 2.xstream is not a huge work and would help some users.

And concerning the cache managment.  I know it is a very asked
> features.  However, it is not very clear for me what we want to
> deliver.  Do we want to allow to configure what is cached where, do we
> want to put in place some policies (like in maven) or do we want to do
> more?
> So I don't know if it should be put in 2.0 or if a 2.1 would be better.

Yes, this is still not absolutely clear for me, so I agree that we may need
some more time or help. What we can do is plan this for 2.1, and if somebody
wants to contribute something earlier (including one of the committers), we
will discuss to see if it's worth including the changes in 2.0 or not.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
I agree with this :

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.