Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/08/12 12:14:53 UTC

Request for comments: Moving to Spring 4 and Java 8

All,

It's about time to migrate master to Java 8 JDK and Spring 4. Please help review the following PRs:

There are three outstanding issues that I need help and feedback on:

1. F5 plugin fails to build due to issue likely in the axis dependency library, I've disabled it from the build now. Do we have a F5 developer/maintainer who can look at it.

2. Two unit tests failures due to Spring 4 migration:

com/cloud/vm/DeploymentPlanningManagerImplTest.java

com/globo/globodns/cloudstack/resource/GloboDnsResourceTest.java

Do we have anyone who can help fix the above tests? Deployment planner developers, or globo-dns plugin maintainers?

3. In general, the end-to-end testing of plugins. There may be plugins which are not maintained or used anymore, we need discuss how to deal with them moving forward. As a first step we may want to start disable them from the build, especially those failing builds.

Comments, feedback? Thanks.

Regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Request for comments: Moving to Spring 4 and Java 8

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

Reviving this thread as it would be a Good Thing(tm) to get Spring 4 merged for 4.10.0.0.  Based on Rohit’s original question, it appears that the only issue is F5 on Java8 (not on Java7).  Is there someone available with F5 knowledge who can investigate it?  If not, would it be acceptable to limit F5 users of 4.10.0.0 to Java7 due to this issue?

Thanks,
-John

john.burwell@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

We now have a PR where we're able to build, run and test CloudStack master with JDK 1.8 and Spring 4.3. Special thanks to Marc-Aurèle Brothier for fixing the unit test issues.

The only outstanding issue is getting the F5 plugin to build, which I could not figure out how to fix even with their latest jdk1.8 iControl library. I therefore request any F5 maintainers to have a look and advise changes necessary to get this plugin to work with ACS master with the PR: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1638

Otherwise, we would have to disable it moving forward if we've no one to maintain it or no user(s) who may be using it.

Please provide your review, feedback and comments on the PR. Thanks.

Regards.