Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nikolay_Miroshnichenko <ni...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/15 22:09:16 UTC

Analyzing results: Load Time vs. Latency

I guess it's not a new question but I couldn't find an exact answer and
I'm still confused in realizing the differences between the Load Time
and the Latency.

My guesses: the latency is a waiting time from the point of sending a
request to the point of receiving the first byte of the response.
And the load time is latency plus time of downloading the whole body of
the response. Is that both correct?

As I've noticed, they either slightly differ (latency is shorter) or
equal (almost always).

Here is an example:

Thread Name: NewUsers 1-782
Sample Start: 2009-10-10 23:11:29 MSD
Load time: 47762
Latency: 47734
Size in bytes: 589641
Sample Count: 1
Error Count: 0
Response code: 200
Response message: OK

and another:

Thread Name: NewUsers 1-939
Sample Start: 2009-10-10 23:12:16 MSD
Load time: 479
Latency: 452
Size in bytes: 589641
Sample Count: 1
Error Count: 0
Response code: 200
Response message: OK

--
Best Regards
Nikolay Miroshnichenko

Re: Analyzing results: Load Time vs. Latency

Posted by Nikolay_Miroshnichenko <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi again
thanks for the link, a useful resource.

Surprisingly I found the same latency description in the glossary:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/glossary.html

So, I've known enough about the latency and the load time
(http://www.mail-archive.com/jmeter-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg19328.html)

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by kirk <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
Carl Shaulis wrote:
> Interesting observation!
>
> My opinion would be that load time is time between the first byte to the
> last byte.
>
> Latency is the time between initiating the request and terminating the
> request.

Latency is the time from stimulus to response which IMHO includes load
time. That said, time to first byte is also important as it point to a
class of performance issues such as slow feeders.

Regards,
Kirk

Re: Analyzing results: Load Time vs. Latency

Posted by Carl Shaulis <cs...@homeaway.com>.
Interesting observation!

My opinion would be that load time is time between the first byte to the
last byte.

Latency is the time between initiating the request and terminating the
request.

The should be similar, but your data would imply that the request is
terminated before all of the data are loaded, which does not make much sense
to me unless they are simply two unique timers.

I am curious as to what the community thinks.

Carl