Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com> on 2023/09/29 18:16:13 UTC

[VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for the release of Apache Kafka 3.6.0.
Some of the major features include:

* KIP-405 : Kafka Tiered Storage
* KIP-868 : KRaft Metadata Transactions
* KIP-875: First-class offsets support in Kafka Connect
* KIP-898: Modernize Connect plugin discovery
* KIP-938: Add more metrics for measuring KRaft performance
* KIP-902: Upgrade Zookeeper to 3.8.1
* KIP-917: Additional custom metadata for remote log segment

Release notes for the 3.6.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~satishd/kafka-3.6.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday, October 3, 12pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~satishd/kafka-3.6.0-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~satishd/kafka-3.6.0-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 3.6 branch) is the 3.6.0-rc2 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.6.0-rc2

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/36/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/36/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 3.6 branch:
There are a few runs of unit/integration tests. You can see the latest
at https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.6/. We will
continue running a few more iterations.
System tests:
We will send an update once we have the results.

Thanks,
Satish.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justine,

Good catch on the "documentation.html" of the generated
kafka-site-<>.tgz. It has been missing updates after 3.4. But I think
it is a non blocker as the kafka-site repo is updated the
documentation with the respective release directories including 3.6.
Any pending updates on 3.6 are addressed by updating in kafka-site
repo.
We will sync 3.6 and trunk branches of kafka repo and asf-site branch
of kafka-site repo with respect to the documentation so that kafka and
kafka-site repos are in sync for future releases.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15530 is raised to
followup on the missing documentation of metrics introduced in
KIP-890. Please close this JIRA as a duplicate if you already have
one.

Thanks,
Satish.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thank you all for participating in the 3.6.0 release candidate vote threads.

This vote passes with 11 +1 votes(4 binding) and no 0 or -1 votes.

+1 votes
PMC Members:
* Luke Chen
* Bill Bejeck
* Chris Egerton
* Justine Olshan

Community:
* Jakub Scholz
* Federico Valeri
* Divij Vaidya
* Kamal Chandraprakash
* Josep Prat
* Proven Provenzano
* Greg Harris

0 votes
* No votes

-1 votes
* No votes

I will continue with the release process and the release announcement
will follow in the next few days.

Thanks,
Satish.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Chris Egerton <ch...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi Satish,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justine and all,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hey Satish,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@apache.org>.
Hi Satish,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@apache.org>.
Hi Satish,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Proven Provenzano <pp...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Divij for the observations.

KAFKA-15483 is added to address the missing metrics related to KRaft
and ZK to KRaft migration. Please leave a comment at
https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/548 in which related metrics
documentation is added.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Proven Provenzano <pp...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Josep Prat <jo...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi Satish,

+1 (non-binding) from me as well! Thanks for running the release

I run the following validations steps:
- Built from source with Java 11 and Scala 2.13
- Verified Signatures and hashes of the artifacts generated
- Navigated through Javadoc including links to JDK classes
- Run the unit tests
- Run integration tests
- Run the quickstart in KRaft and Zookeeper mode

--
[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

*Josep Prat*
Open Source Engineering Director, *Aiven*
josep.prat@aiven.io   |   +491715557497
aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>
  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/aiven/>   <https://twitter.com/aiven_io>
*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*
Alexanderufer 3-7, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2

Posted by Kamal Chandraprakash <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] 3.6.0 RC2