Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net> on 2001/12/13 18:17:56 UTC

JSTL (standard taglib) Early Access 3

Once again, I'm happy to announce a new Early Access release of the JSP
Standard Tag Library (JSTL).

Early Access Release 3 introduces tags for database access and
incorporates some changes to the internationalization and XML-manipulation
libraries.

The reference implementation is available from Jakarta Taglibs as the
'standard' taglib.

   Intro page:
     http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html

   Documentation:
     http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/index.html

   Binary dist:
     http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/releases/standard/

As before, an EA3 milestone "snapshot" as well as the usual nightly builds
will be available.

Community support has been great so far; we're eager to get more feedback
as we come closer to a feature-complete release.  Please send all comments
to jsr052-comments@sun.com.  Many thanks!

Happy holidays!

Shawn Bayern
JSTL reference-implementation lead

Re: JSTL doc inconsistency, and a question

Posted by horwat <Ju...@Sun.com>.
Good catch! The documentation has changed recently and the context init
parameters should be:

* javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.driver
* javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.url
* javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.user
* javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.password

I've updated the implementation and the documentation to reflect the latest
context init params. Here's an example of how you can set the params:

    <context-param>
        <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.user</param-name>
        <param-value>someusername</param-value>
    </context-param>
    <context-param>
        <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.password</param-name>
        <param-value>someuserpassword</param-value>
    </context-param>

Justy

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.
The inconsistency:

Re: JSTL (standard taglib) Early Access 3

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Paul DuBois wrote:

> I haven't seen this in the docs that I've read so far.  Is this:
> - something I should just know
> - an oversight in the docs or the distribution
> - complete coincidence that installing js.jar fixed my pages :-)

It's definitely not the latter.  :-)  I've clarified the docs (which will
be included in the next nighly distribution) and, as a convenience,
included 'js.jar' in the binary 'milestone' EA3 distribution (just
updated).

'js.jar' is necessary for any uses of the ECMAScript expression language.

Sorry for the lack of information,

Shawn

Re: JSTL (standard taglib) Early Access 3

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.

Posted by Paul DuBois <pa...@snake.net>.
>Once again, I'm happy to announce a new Early Access release of the JSP
>Standard Tag Library (JSTL).

I downloaded this release and installed it.  Tried out some of the
examples.  They worked.

Tried to write some of my own pages with this tag library.  Failed
every time.  Finally after a lot of comparison between my own setup
and that used in the standard-examples webapp, I discovered that the
JSTL distribution appears to be incomplete.  Specifically, the
standard-examples/WEB-INF/lib directory includes a js.jar file, which,
when I copied into my own WEB-INF/lib directory and restarted Tomcat,
caused my pages to start working.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vi...@basebeans.com>.
We should not do DB access in JSP (or anything much in JSP). Clear MVC
is more productive.
Vic

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Lavandowska wrote:

> What do you expect to happen to the current taglibs that handle these
> functions in the Jakarta-Taglibs project?  Are these new JSTL tags
> related in any way to the existing taglibs?

In general, JSTL's tags have been informed by "best-of-breed" products,
both from Jakarta Taglibs and from specific vendors.  In the case of the
SQL tags, I think it's accurate to say that JSTL's database tags were
influenced more by Jakarta Taglibs than any commercial source.  Still, as
a standard, JSTL doesn't have as much flexibility to experiment as does
Jakarta Taglibs:  in some cases, this can lead to better defined, but
perhaps fewer, "features."

To answer your question about what'll happen, that's mostly up to Jakarta
Taglibs committers, who will likely decide how to proceed based on what's
best for the Taglibs user community.  (Input from taglibs-user would be
very valuable, in this respect!)  This decision can certainly be made on a
case-by-case basis.  Ideally (from my personal viewpoint), all Jakarta
Taglibs packages would take JSTL into account in some respect... either by
integrating explicitly; offering "add-ons" for specific, nonstandard
cases; offering an alternative interface -- e.g., higher- or lower-level
abstractions -- for the subset of users that prefer it; etc.

Shawn

Re: JSTL (standard taglib) Early Access 3

Posted by Lavandowska <fl...@yahoo.com>.
--- Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net> wrote:
> Once again, I'm happy to announce a new Early Access release of the
> JSP
> Standard Tag Library (JSTL).
>
> Early Access Release 3 introduces tags for database access and
> incorporates some changes to the internationalization and
> XML-manipulation
> libraries.

What do you expect to happen to the current taglibs that handle these
functions in the Jakarta-Taglibs project?  Are these new JSTL tags
related in any way to the existing taglibs?

Lance