Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/06/02 05:59:49 UTC

Re: bootstrapping in struts?

On Fri, 18 May 2001, derek harding wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a way to include a bootstrap class using
> struts.  I know the web.xml is able to load a servlet on startup.
> But is this the only way to load classes on startup?

If you want stuff executed when the application is started, this is the
only way that is portable across all servlet containers.

In a servlet 2.3 environment (such as Tomcat 4.0), there is a new feature
called application event listeners that serve this purpose without having
to be servlets themselves.

> Thanks,
> Derek

Craig