Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Curlee <rc...@ucsd.edu> on 2000/04/05 02:47:48 UTC

simple processor example code?

I was wondering if someone had simple example code for writing a
processor for cocoon.  I am looking at the source code for processors
which comes with cocoon, but the code samples aren't helping me very
much.  Hopefully someones example code would include the parsing of a
tag within a new namespace.

Forgive me if this is a simple thing to do, but I'm finding myself
staring at the source code with cocoon and going nowhere.

Thank you in advance.

--
Robert Curlee                           CAIDA, 0505
Vis/Sim Programmer                      SD Supercomputer Center

Re: how to make static pages with cocoon?

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Robert Curlee wrote:

> We have been exclusively using Cocoon to generate dynamic pages for a
> couple of weeks now.  Every once in a while (1 in 20 hits or so) Cocoon
> returns an error page.  I can't figure out what the problem is.  We have
> tried to up the memory for Java, but this only helped a little.  We've
> decided to have Cocoon generate static web pages as a temporary work
> around because there is a need to make the site more stable.

what does your servlet engine's error log have to say? what jvm are you
using? this isn't cool and should be addressed.

- donald

how to make static pages with cocoon?

Posted by Robert Curlee <rc...@ucsd.edu>.
Hi,

We have been exclusively using Cocoon to generate dynamic pages for a
couple of weeks now.  Every once in a while (1 in 20 hits or so) Cocoon
returns an error page.  I can't figure out what the problem is.  We have
tried to up the memory for Java, but this only helped a little.  We've
decided to have Cocoon generate static web pages as a temporary work
around because there is a need to make the site more stable.

It appears Cocoon will not generate a static web tree on its own.  What
is the best tool which works with Cocoon to create static html pages?

Re: simple processor example code?

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@mail.com>.
> > I was wondering if someone had simple example code for writing a
> > processor for cocoon.  I am looking at the source code for processors
> > which comes with cocoon, but the code samples aren't helping me very
> > much.  Hopefully someones example code would include the parsing of a
> > tag within a new namespace.
> >
> > Forgive me if this is a simple thing to do, but I'm finding myself
> > staring at the source code with cocoon and going nowhere.
>
> It's easy. The main method you need to write is this:
>
> public Document process(Document document, Dictionary parameters)
>
> you take in an org.w3c.dom.Document object, and you spit one out. could be
> the same one with mods, could be a new one created from scratch. your
> call.

I've got an AbstractProcessor class somewhere - if your processor meets a
set of restrictions it takes much of the pain out of processor writing.
I'll post it tonight when I can find it!

> sounds like you're unfamiliar with DOM programming. good luck. it sucks.

:-) What about SAX programming!  [shudder]

Ross

Re: simple processor example code?

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.