Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2011/02/08 07:41:33 UTC

CouchOne + Membase = Couchbase

Dear CouchDB folks, developers, users,

I don't usually post business-y things here, but I think this one warrants an email.

I'm excited to announce that CouchOne, the company Damien, J Chris and I founded in late 2009, is merging with the company Membase to become Couchbase. Together we will be developing a product, also called Couchbase, that is based on CouchDB and Membase / memcached technology. Our goal is to build a simple, fast and elastic database that's gonna kick some ass. I'll leave the details of that for you to read on the websites we've put up — start here: http://www.couchbase.com/

Instead of dwelling on the merger or technology, I'd like to address likely questions about the relationship between Couchbase and Apache CouchDB. It is simple, really: at CouchOne we were 100% committed on the Open Source side of things and at Couchbase we will continue to do so at the same degree. In terms of organisation, Couchbase will be it's own independent Open Source project that has Apache CouchDB and memcached as dependencies, but adds  a few things of its own that warrant being its own project. Our combined engineering team, led by Damien, will continue to contribute to Apache CouchDB in the same way as we've been to date, only more. I can't wait to share with you what we'll come up with :)

Thanks everybody for your support, past and future. The CouchDB community is by far my favourite and I hope you will accept Couchbase as a new member of this community :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me privately, but I'd like to avoid highjacking the list for this thread.

Cheers
Jan
--
http://couchbase.com/

Re: CouchOne + Membase = Couchbase

Posted by Marcos Oliveira <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jan,

Congratulations to you all.

We've being using CouchDB in our app since 2009 and I'm expecting good
things happening from this merge.

[]'s
Marcos

Posted by Marcos Oliveira <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jan,

Posted by Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya <ma...@aptela.com>.
Good luck!

cheers
Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya | CTO | mahesh@aptela.com | 703.386.1500 Ext. 9100
2250 Corporate Park Drive | Suite 150 | Herndon, VA | www.aptela.com
Check out our Blog | Follow us on Twitter | Refer a Friend

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
Nathan,

I'll clarify what I can for the bits I know about. One important part
of Bigcouch is to be API compatible with couchdb. Obviously there are
some places where this must break down (say, controlling sharding and
r/w/n consistency) but to a large degree, we succeed at that. It's
also straightforward to test it out locally ('make dev', just like
couchdb ). I can't speak for Couchbase, will have to see when it comes
out.

So, to your technical points, as best I can tell, you shouldn't expect
to have a harder time using or testing these products, they should
work well together.

Finally, I cannot reveal how many magic ponies we use in the creation
of Bigcouch, but I can assure you that they are all ethically treated.

B.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 Feb 2011, at 19:26, Paul Davis wrote:

>> A few months ago, I read about BigCouch:
>>    BigCouch = (CouchDB + Amazon Dynamo clustering theory)
>> That sounds neat, and I was getting the impression this was done in Erlang in such a way it could become part of core and was excited for it.
>>

> It is and there's still a general agreement that it will be. The
> issues holding it back are mostly technical in that we need to
> refactor our source tree which is being held up by things like waiting
> for the new replicator to land.
>
>> Now I'm trying to figure out what Couchbase is, and my reading indicates:
>>    Couchbase = (Memcached + magic) + (CouchDB + ponies)
>>
>> Will these new dependencies make CouchDB harder to compile and use for personal deployments? How does merging in an in-memory cache provide the clustered resiliency I was hoping would be possible by using BigCouch? I'd never heard of Membase before last night, so I guess I'm just feeling a bit like a nervous IT guy hearing the platform he relies on is about to change in ways he doesn't understand.
>>

> Couchbase is not Apache CouchDB. There are no new dependencies that
> are suddenly going to be required by CouchDB.
>
>> I'd feel more comfortable if I knew what the magic and ponies really were at a code base level, so I could understand better how they will change things for me and my little Couch apps. I can tell the CouchOne guys are excited about this, though, and trust it means good things for the CouchDB community.
>
> For the foreseeable future, absolutely nothing is going to change for
> you. Its always possible that we'll start to see some patches coming
> back from Couchbase employees into Apache CouchDB, but as with all
> other development they'll go through the same development processes
> we've been using since CouchDB came to Apache.

Spot on, all of it, thanks Paul :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: CouchOne + Membase = Couchbase

Posted by Nathan Vander Wilt <na...@calftrail.com>.
Ah, ok. I think it was mostly this in the press FAQ that confused me:

"How will your technologies and products be integrated?
We plan to roll out the blended product line in several stages over the next few months."

What I'm hearing is this Couchbase "blended product" is more or less a line of infrastructure services that Couchbase the company is weaving together with Apache CouchDB as one component and Membase as another and the new company's combined wizardry as another. Synergy As A Service or something, not an actual merging of *projects* into an inseparable tarball.

I apologize for not reading Jan's original email on this thread more thoroughly; I had assumed it was basically the same press release stuff, but it actually makes this abundantly clear: "Couchbase will be it's own independent Open Source project that has Apache CouchDB and memcached as dependencies, but adds a few things of its own that warrant being its own project."

That *is* super exciting! These kind of higher-level projects and business models both demonstrate and promote CouchDB's maturity as The Future of the web. (I was going to say "maturity as a platform" but let's just be honest here :-)

thanks,
-natevw

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Vander Wilt <na...@calftrail.com>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear CouchDB folks, developers, users,
>
> I don't usually post business-y things here, but I think this one warrants an email.
>
> I'm excited to announce that CouchOne, the company Damien, J Chris and I founded in late 2009, is merging with the company Membase to become Couchbase. Together we will be developing a product, also called Couchbase, that is based on CouchDB and Membase / memcached technology. Our goal is to build a simple, fast and elastic database that's gonna kick some ass. I'll leave the details of that for you to read on the websites we've put up — start here: http://www.couchbase.com/
>
> Instead of dwelling on the merger or technology, I'd like to address likely questions about the relationship between Couchbase and Apache CouchDB. It is simple, really: at CouchOne we were 100% committed on the Open Source side of things and at Couchbase we will continue to do so at the same degree. In terms of organisation, Couchbase will be it's own independent Open Source project that has Apache CouchDB and memcached as dependencies, but adds  a few things of its own that warrant being its own project. Our combined engineering team, led by Damien, will continue to contribute to Apache CouchDB in the same way as we've been to date, only more. I can't wait to share with you what we'll come up with :)
>
> Thanks everybody for your support, past and future. The CouchDB community is by far my favourite and I hope you will accept Couchbase as a new member of this community :)
>
> If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me privately, but I'd like to avoid highjacking the list for this thread.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
> http://couchbase.com/

That's good news for couchone, congrats!

- benoît