Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2014/09/09 01:46:24 UTC

Re: September report

On 08-09-14 06:57, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> it looks like September report is almost done,
> except the following podlings:
>    * Streams
>        [ ](streams) Matt Franklin
>        [ ](streams) Ate Douma
>        [ ](streams) Craig McClanahan

> If there's any chance the above mentors can
> facilitate the report and later sign-off on
> it would be really appreciated.

Hi Roman,

I'm sorry about the missing Streams report.

The problem here is that the current committers, while pretty much active on
Streams itself, still have trouble getting it into their skull and planning to
draft up a report themselves, so that we (mentors) can sign it off...
Previous reports so far had to be drafted up by the mentors to get it done in
time, despite repeated nudges.

The last time we warned the committers we would do this no more: part of
learning the ropes and working towards graduation is that they also learn to
take up this responsibility themselves.
Regrettably, they again failed to pick this up and clearly I'm annoyed and
disappointed :(

Hopefully though this blunder and the fact they should 'fix' this already for
the report next month will finally make them realize this is not something they
can keep overlooking.

To be clear, IMO the Streams committers are actually making good progress with
the project itself, so from that perspective I do not think the IPMC has much to
be worried about. They just need some spanking to get their act together with
respect for the Foundation :)

So hopefully this direct feedback will be enough 'spanking' ;) and we'll see a
proper report delivered and signed off the next month.

Kind regards,
Ate

Re: September report

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 08-09-14 06:57, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> it looks like September report is almost done,
>> except the following podlings:
>>    * Streams
>>        [ ](streams) Matt Franklin
>>        [ ](streams) Ate Douma
>>        [ ](streams) Craig McClanahan
>

>> If there's any chance the above mentors can
>> facilitate the report and later sign-off on
>> it would be really appreciated.
>>

> Hi Roman,
>
> I'm sorry about the missing Streams report.
>
> The problem here is that the current committers, while pretty much active on
> Streams itself, still have trouble getting it into their skull and planning
> to draft up a report themselves, so that we (mentors) can sign it off...
> Previous reports so far had to be drafted up by the mentors to get it done
> in time, despite repeated nudges.
>
> The last time we warned the committers we would do this no more: part of
> learning the ropes and working towards graduation is that they also learn to
> take up this responsibility themselves.
> Regrettably, they again failed to pick this up and clearly I'm annoyed and
> disappointed :(
>
> Hopefully though this blunder and the fact they should 'fix' this already
> for the report next month will finally make them realize this is not
> something they can keep overlooking.
>
> To be clear, IMO the Streams committers are actually making good progress
> with the project itself, so from that perspective I do not think the IPMC
> has much to be worried about. They just need some spanking to get their act
> together with respect for the Foundation :)
>
> So hopefully this direct feedback will be enough 'spanking' ;) and we'll see
> a proper report delivered and signed off the next month.

Thanks, Ate! This makes perfect sense. Hopefully, to your point, we've
provided enough forcing function for the poddling to 'do the right thing'
next time.

Roman.

Re: September report

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: September report

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
This is easier if you start from the template report that is on the wiki
page.

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/September2014

Note that the deadline has passed already, so you will likely be asked to
file your report next month.

Some things that I don't see in this report are:

- the amount of traffic on your mailing lists for the last few months

- the number of commits on your project(s) for the last few months

- when your last new committer was added, same for PMC

- why your group has problems doing a simple and rare report on time

- what challenges your project is working on

- what is left to do before graduation

Re: September report

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: September report

[...]

[...]