Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/27 13:26:56 UTC

[users@httpd] When it rains it pours...

So I get a call from one of our developpers. Turns out that the "UT"
interface wasn't working properly anymore. The UT interface is
basically a SOAP service running on a Tomcat instance. The purpose it
to allow smartphones to do things like get Call History etc.. by
sending Soap requests to this interface. Recently the functionality of
this service has been extended to provide for a new type of nifty
fix-line phone with touch screen that Swisscom wants to inflict on the
market next year.
But anyway. It had become sluggish, and the usual solution is to just
bounce the Tomcat.
So I log in and do:
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop.
I press enter and then the power in the office fails...

Lasted an hour before we had power and network back, and I could ssh
back in to the server in order to start the tomcat again...

I am going to look in to making the whole UT interface more robust.
And we are also looking in to getting a UPS for our coffeemachine,
because not being able to have a coffee when an outage condems you to
unproductivity is next to unbearable...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

Re: [users@httpd] Re: When it rains it pours...

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Please don't.  It was an entertaining story, better than many on this list.
>
> Well, It was a strange feeling to basically press enter to complete a
> command, and as a result see all the lights go out...

Java stuff does that quite often.  We have this Tomcat app, each time we
start it, the lights get dimmer and the elevators slow down.
We tried a load-balancer before, but it did not really help.
So now we got low-power memory boards in our servers, and start or stop
the apps manually one by one.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: When it rains it pours...

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Please don't.  It was an entertaining story, better than many on this list.

Well, It was a strange feeling to basically press enter to complete a
command, and as a result see all the lights go out...

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: When it rains it pours...

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Krist van Besien wrote:
> I really should not have two mailing lists with adresses starting with
> "users@...". Sorry list.
>
> (Or how do I disable email completion in Gmail.)

Please don't.  It was an entertaining story, better than many on this
list.  The UPS for the coffeee machine is a great idea. I'll suggest
that here, as we are about to move our servers to new premises.
:-)

[users@httpd] Re: When it rains it pours...

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] When it rains it pours...

Posted by János Löbb <ja...@yale.edu>.
On Nov 27, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:26:56 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> And we are also looking in to getting a UPS for our coffeemachine,
>> because not being able to have a coffee when an outage condems you to
>> unproductivity is next to unbearable...
>
> I worked at a company once that had a coffee machine in the
> 'breakroom' which was right outside the door of the 2 bathrooms -
> where there was a sink and microwave and coffee pot. One day at a
> company meeting, someone mentioned it was about time to get a new
> coffee pot brush. One person turned pale white. "What... coffee..
> pot... brush?"
> The other person said "The one right under the sink, right by the
> coffee pot!" and the other person said "You've been using that on the
> coffee pot?"
> "Yes. Why?"
> "Uhhh... I've been using that on the toilets."
>
> I think it was a while before anyone drank coffee anymore.

When I was sitting in a refugee camp in Switzerland between 1986-1988
I had to do daily chores.  One of them was to clean the bathrooms
located on the floor.  One day as I grabbed my devices and started to
do it, I saw two persons standing in front of one urinals.  One of
them was bending.  I almost turned and went away, but in the last
moment I realized that the bending was just washing his hair, and the
other one was pushing the tap down, so the water flowed continuously.
They looked apache - black hair and sun-dried skin -, but there were
no tom-cat around :)

The coffee was made by an austrian cook from neighboring Voralberg :)

Re: [users@httpd] When it rains it pours...

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Krist van Besien wrote:

> We have a more sofisticated coffee machine. It even runs on Linux (as
> we could witness when the power came back), but don't know if it has
> Apache installed...

Maybe. But does it support the official RFC ?
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt

Re: [users@httpd] When it rains it pours...

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com> wrote:
> I worked at a company once that had a coffee machine in the
> 'breakroom' which was right outside the door of the 2 bathrooms -
> where there was a sink and microwave and coffee pot. One day at a
> company meeting, someone mentioned it was about time to get a new
> coffee pot brush. One person turned pale white. "What... coffee..
> pot... brush?"
> The other person said "The one right under the sink, right by the
> coffee pot!" and the other person said "You've been using that on the
> coffee pot?"
> "Yes. Why?"
> "Uhhh... I've been using that on the toilets."
>
> I think it was a while before anyone drank coffee anymore.

Very funny (and completely off topic ofcourse...)

We have a more sofisticated coffee machine. It even runs on Linux (as
we could witness when the power came back), but don't know if it has
Apache installed...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com