Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org> on 2003/05/20 13:20:59 UTC

Symbolic revision names in dump files

I've been working on keeping an SVN repo in sync with the BitKeeper
Linux Kernel CVS repo.

I've modified cvs2svn (a lot, to the point it is now just bkcvs2svn) to
do incremental updates from the CVS repo in the form of dumps that I
load into the svn repo on a regular basis.

I had one hurdle to overcome, which was I needed to track the repo's
revision numbers for tags. For example, if an incremental run created a
new tag from the head (the tags are always just copies of HEAD in
bkcvs), I had to know the current revision so that the copyfrom-rev in
the dump file was correct.

That seems less than adequate, since generally revision numbers in the
dumpfile could otherwise be ignored. It would be nice of the svnadmin
load parser could accept symbolic revisions, or atleast just HEAD.

Anyone else thought about or approached this?

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

Re: Symbolic revision names in dump files

Posted by Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org>.
On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:39:48AM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Ben Collins <bc...@debian.org> writes:
>
> > That seems less than adequate, since generally revision numbers in the
> > dumpfile could otherwise be ignored. It would be nice of the svnadmin
> > load parser could accept symbolic revisions, or atleast just HEAD.
> >
> > Anyone else thought about or approached this?
>
> Giving 'alias' names to revisions seems like a perfect excuse to use a
> revision property.
>
> The only question is -- do make it a "standard" property, like
> svn:revision-names?  If we do, then it would be nice if svn_repos.h
> (svn_fs.h?) had a utility function to search all revision proplists
> and look for revision(s) which match the propval.
>
> Otherwise, I guess you could do this from a python script using the
> swig bindings... kinda messy either way, though.

I'm still not sure how revision properties help me in this case. It's
not like I know what revs will become a tag ahead of time.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.