Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/10/25 07:13:56 UTC

[ANN] The Once and Future Avalon

Hello all.

Avalon is taking a new direction.

The project has grown quite a bit since its inception in 1999 as the
Apache Java Server Framework and since the transfer from Jakarta to its
own top level project in 2002.  In light of the events over those years,
Avalon is taking a new step and dissolving from a single project into
several new projects which will carry on the software and spirit of Avalon.

The ASF Board has been notified of the current affairs, in particular
the Metro fork and movement of code to Excalibur.  The plan is to
dismantle Avalon over the next several weeks.  Following which, the
Board will make the shutdown official at ApacheCon in November.  This
was done to give us time to handle the closure and transfers here before
an official dissolution resolution is submitted and passed.

Avalon's closure means that the site, subversion repositories, and
mailing lists will be closed down and made read only.  Everything will
still be made available in the distribution mirrors and archives.  The
current site will most likely be removed and a closure notice placed,
though we have no detailed plan on the site yet.

Avalon will not turn into abandon-ware, however.  The various components
of the Avalon platform have been moved or transferred to other locations:

   Excalibur   --> Apache Excalibur  (http://excalibur.apache.org)
   Fortress    --> Apache Excalibur  (http://excalibur.apache.org)
   Framework   --> Apache Excalibur  (http://excalibur.apache.org)
   Cornerstone --> Apache Excalibur  (http://excalibur.apache.org)
   LogKit      --> Apache Excalibur  (http://excalibur.apache.org)
   Phoenix     --> Codehaus Loom     (http://loom.codehaus.org)
   Merlin      --> DPML Metro        (http://dpml.net)
   Magic       --> DPML Metro        (http://dpml.net)

We have a lot of work to do over the next couple of weeks to ensure a
smooth transition.  Much of that work will not occur here in Avalon but
in the various projects and communities which will be hosting the code.
  Those interested in assisting should contact the respective new project.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to Avalon over the years
and for all the support which has been provided.  If anyone has any
questions or concerns about the situation, feel free to post them on the
mailing list or even contact me directly.

Thank you,
J Aaron Farr
Avalon Project Management Committee Chair