Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2006/10/16 14:02:50 UTC

Adding sysinfo to the APR

Hi,

I wish to add the things we have inside tomcat-native
to the APR (with more generic API) for obtaining
various OS infos in a portable way.

Right now, inside tomcat-native we have a set of
functions that can obtain:

inf[0]  - Total usable main memory size
inf[1]  - Available memory size
inf[2]  - Total page file/swap space size
inf[3]  - Page file/swap space still available
inf[4]  - Amount of shared memory
inf[5]  - Memory used by buffers
inf[6]  - Memory Load

inf[7]  - Idle Time in microseconds
inf[8]  - Kernel Time in microseconds
inf[9]  - User Time in microseconds

inf[10] - Process creation time (apr_time_t)
inf[11] - Process Kernel Time in microseconds
inf[12] - Process User Time in microseconds

inf[13] - Current working set size.
inf[14] - Peak working set size.
inf[15] - Number of page faults.

All that is available for a multiple platforms (linux, solaris, macosx, windows).
IMHO, something like that can be very usable with a proper API to the
much wider audience.

Comments?

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Adding sysinfo to the APR

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> I wish to add the things we have inside tomcat-native
> to the APR (with more generic API) for obtaining
> various OS infos in a portable way.

> All that is available for a multiple platforms (linux, solaris, macosx,
> windows).
> IMHO, something like that can be very usable with a proper API to the
> much wider audience.

+1.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Windows Registry and other similar repositories

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> David Horowitz wrote:
>> Would there be some way in APR to access the Windows Registry, and whatever
>> the analogs would be on other platforms?
>
> The code already exists, but I didn't think it really fits into apr since
> it's an 'anti-portability' feature :)

The Win32 registry can be easily exported to the plain
text file and used from multiple platforms like any other configuration
file. So, having a registry/file API would be usable on all platforms
if someone needs that.

--
Mladen.

RE: Windows Registry and other similar repositories

Posted by David Horowitz <da...@mcgrawsoftware.com>.
Thanks William for the link, and Mladen for the thought for the community.

David

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by David Horowitz <da...@mcgrawsoftware.com>.
Folks,

Would there be some way in APR to access the Windows Registry, and whatever
the analogs would be on other platforms?

Thanks.

David