Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au> on 2000/08/12 05:24:46 UTC

distributed Ant w/ javaspaces

I was thinking, would it be possible/desirable for Ant to be able to
farm off work to different processors?

This could be an interesting application of Javaspaces
(http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-1999/jw-11-jiniology_p.html).
There could be a company-wide "compute server", which would make use
of spare cycles from tetris-playing managers on pIIIs. When Ant gets
invoked, it would decide what can be safely parallelised, and farm
that off to the "compute server".

Just dreaming..

--Jeff

RE: distributed Ant w/ javaspaces

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Jeff,

This has come up a once in the past when we were discussing multithreading.
I think the position can be summed up by this quote from Duncan.

> Just multi threading. I defintly don't want to support
> distributed (across machines) in the core. If somebody wants to build a
> framework like that which uses Ant on each machine, that's great and I'd
be
> interested in trying to see if Ant could be compatible with such a thing,
> but it's not something that I'd support in core.

Cheers
Conor