Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr> on 2005/05/14 06:29:51 UTC

Unifying Insert and InsertText

Hi.

What do people think about unifying Insert and InsertText ? Actually, I mean
adding InsertText functionality to Insert? I hope they are not so
incompatibile for that ...Simplier and less confusion for newcomers when
taking first glance on Component Repository ?

-Vjeran

Re: Unifying Insert and InsertText

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.
Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.
Hi Kuon.

Don't use initial-value.
Instead, initialize your properties in pageBeginRender. I do this:

public abstract class MyPage implements PageRenderListener
{
     // called before page rendering and also on form submit (rewind)
     public void pageBeginRender(PageEvent event)
     {
         // initialize properties etc
         if (!event.getRequestCycle().isRewinding())
         {
             if (getUserInfos() == null)
             {
                 setUserInfos(new java.util.HashMap());
             }

See the Wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/MoreFrequentlyAskedQuestions
"How do I use the pageRenderListener to setup my page before it is used?"

Cheers,
Nick.

Persistent HashMap

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Hear hear!  Less is more, less is more, less is more..... COME ON
CHANT HOWARD'S MANTRA!!!!

What say folks to pulling the ax out on Tapestry and trimming things
back simplicity.  Howard, and I'm mentioning him by name in a very
reverent manner despite the likely interpretation that I'm poking
some fun at him.... I love the mantra but I haven't personally been
able to identify with it in my Tapestry work - things always ended up
slightly annoyingly more complex than what you'd envision it should
be like.  I'm the first to say I'm a switcher - from the "MVC" world
to the component world.  Let's chip away the rough edges that we've
all encountered and show the world that Tapestry is the bee's knees
of modern web application development.  I have reservations from
being that overtly enthusiastic because of the rough edges that I get
cut by myself.

In otherwords, and in the sake of the less is more mantra, forget all
of the above... +1

     Erik

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@tis.hr>.
Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.
	How were you planning on addressing the auto-chunking
characteristics of InsertText? Were you thinking of just adding a flag to
insert to enable/disable the chunking behavior?

	In general though, sounds like a good idea to me at least. For your
next trick, you could unify textfield and validfield :).

	--- Pat