Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@luc.edu> on 2017/06/28 17:13:54 UTC

Building a Custom cTAKES Dictionary

Hello,

I am new to cTAKES and I'm trying to create a custom dictionary of
additional terms related to alcohol. How can I go about adding semantic
types such as food (T168), etc that aren't available by default to the
dictionary? The cTAKES install is located on a headless Linux server that I
access via SSH.

Thank you,
Andrew

*Andrew Phillips*
GitHub: github.com/skeledrew
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/aphillipstech

RE: Building a Custom cTAKES Dictionary [EXTERNAL]

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Andrew,

Can you xWin (or other) to the server to launch gui applications?
If so, try the dictionary creator gui:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/Dictionary+Creator+GUI

Sean

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Andrew,

You will need to download the umls data from the nlm.  Go to their website
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/
and use the "Downloads" button in the "Access" panel.

I will put some more instructions on the wiki page when I get a chance.

After you download and build a local copy of the umls, run the gui.  In your ctakes resources/ directory, go to org/apache/ctakes/dictionary/lookup/fast/ and you will see an xml file and a directory named after your custom dictionary.  Copy those to the headless server in that ctakes' resources/org/apache/../fast/ directory.

See the (info) panel at the bottom of https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/Dictionary+Creator+GUI
To see how to point ctakes to your custom gui.

By the way, if you have a small number of terms and don't need the umls you can manually create a bar separated value (bsv) file.  I am guessing that you have more than a few terms.

Sean

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Andrew,

I am glad that it worked for you.  I agree that the umls/metamorphosis installation could use a few hints here and there, but I don't want to be the pot calling the kettle ...

Thanks,
Sean

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@luc.edu>.
Hi Sean,