Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/11/22 00:34:41 UTC

Forrest-made James test site - sneak preview

As promised, I've set up a Forrestized version of the James website.
The original XML is not yet 100% validating, so there are still things
to tweak, but it's basically there.

Enjoy!

http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/james/

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Forrest-made James test site - sneak preview

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> I agree with some of the visual issues Noel has, but generally I like it.
> I guess it depends how easy it is to maintain..
>
> the Great Joy of the current system is that its a simple XSLT transformation we have one XSL stylesheet and a single ant-task to create the html from the xml.

With current Forrest you will have to install Forrest, and then call it
from commandline or from the ant build hooks that Forrest provides.

Therre is no maintainance, just make the docs, call forrest, and see the
result.

But you also have doc validation (currently they really suck ;-), auto
PDFs, and you can do "forrest run", point the browser to
http://localhost:8888/ and see changes to the pages realtime through an
embedded webserver.

And in the near future automatic site updates, complete javadoc
integration, pregenerated content mounting, etc etc etc.

I have fowarded the visual issues to the Forrest list, feel free anyone
to do mockups of a better layout and send them to us.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I agree with some of the visual issues Noel has, but generally I like it.
I guess it depends how easy it is to maintain..

the Great Joy of the current system is that its a simple XSLT transformation we have one XSL stylesheet and a single ant-task to create the html from the xml.

d.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>  - I prefer the left flush menu area from http://www.apache.org/~danny/
>
>>Hmmm, given that it has a 3dish look it doesn't play well with the rest
>>of the skin... why do you prefer it? Maybe because it's long till the
>>end of the page, or because it doesn't have a space on its left?
>

> Because the "Maven skin" doesn't have space on the left,

ok

> and because I don't
> actually find the 3-D look from the beta3 skin all that 3-D, or appealing in
> the current incarnation.

Ehm, the 3d-ish look is about the Maven skin. What I meant is that the
3d-ish Maven skin left navigation is not suited for the flat look of the
krysalis skin.

>>;-)  I wanted to keep the skin more visually lightweight; I'll fix up
>>something with more solid looking table headers.
>
> Sorry ... (a) I like the current headers, (b) I think we should be
> relatively consistent with the Apache look.

The Apache look... that's what we are redefining.
The Forrest look will be the Apache look on many projects, and hopefully
on all.

>>Rounded corners are there now http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/beta3/
>
> Not from where I'm sitting (IE 6.0.2800.1106.etc).  Rounded corners on the
> other skins are much more prominent, e.g., http://xml.apache.org/forrest/.
> I see only one tab (Home) rounded, only a little, and only when it is the
> currently selected tab.

With IE6 I see all of them rounded, but yes, it's not much, and yes,
there are download problems (on sf) that can have made your browser miss
the CSS-defined rounded corners.

> Personally, I kind of liked the old menus from xml.apache.org, and I like
> the Forrest menu the least.

It's usual that when one gets accustomed to a L&F it seems the best in
the world. Personally I hated the Maven-tigris skin till I used it some
time.

I'll make tweaks as per your suggestions.
If you make a mockup of the changes you would like to see even with a
paint program, it would help, but it's fine anyway.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> >  - I prefer the left flush menu area from http://www.apache.org/~danny/

> Hmmm, given that it has a 3dish look it doesn't play well with the rest
> of the skin... why do you prefer it? Maybe because it's long till the
> end of the page, or because it doesn't have a space on its left?

Because the "Maven skin" doesn't have space on the left, and because I don't
actually find the 3-D look from the beta3 skin all that 3-D, or appealing in
the current incarnation.

> ;-)  I wanted to keep the skin more visually lightweight; I'll fix up
> something with more solid looking table headers.

Sorry ... (a) I like the current headers, (b) I think we should be
relatively consistent with the Apache look.

> Rounded corners are there now http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/beta3/

Not from where I'm sitting (IE 6.0.2800.1106.etc).  Rounded corners on the
other skins are much more prominent, e.g., http://xml.apache.org/forrest/.
I see only one tab (Home) rounded, only a little, and only when it is the
currently selected tab.

Personally, I kind of liked the old menus from xml.apache.org, and I like
the Forrest menu the least.

	--- Noel

> Thanks for your changes.  Here are some additional specifics for your
> consideration:

good :-)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> Thanks for your changes.  Here are some additional specifics for your
> consideration:

good :-)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.