Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/19 01:23:53 UTC

HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213

Hi,
Due to lack of coordination, HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213 try to implement the
same feature at roughly the same pace.

I want to hear your opinion on how we should plan to move forward with these
two JIRAs.
One possibility is to provide two policies, one accommodating each JIRA. But
that requires even more work.

It would be nice if we can have some performance numbers for both
implementations on comparable cluster(s).

Cheers

Re: HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> Using zookeeper to record transient state is Andy's favorite choice.

Ted, thank you for the consideration!

Best regards,

- Andy

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Nileema,

> PS: I am new to HBase and was working on this during my internship. I wasn't

> aware of other efforts towards this. Apologies if I created any
> inconvenience.

Your contributed efforts can only bring a benefit of some kind!

Best regards,

   - Andy

Posted by Subramanian Iyer <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nileema,

Absolutely no need for apologies. Actually I never realized that you were also working on the same and saw your patch when I was about to commit my patch.

I created a new JIRA (4213) just so that I can bring up an additional option to the table with out polluting or hijacking your efforts from 1730.

thanks a lot for your help on this.

Subbu

Re: HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Nileema:
I should apologize for the late effort of trying to converge two very different designs at such a late stage.

I feel you have expressed the approach of 4213. Thanks for your understanding.

There is definitely pearl in your patch. E.g. Ruby script enhancements. If you and Subbu can work together, that would be great.

Feel free to provide constructive ideas so that this feature is implemented nicely.

Cheers

Re: HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213

Posted by nileema shingte <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,