Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by PAUL GREENE <pa...@comcast.net> on 2002/02/22 22:44:00 UTC

"resumed sessions"

Is there a capability within Apache that prevents "resumed sessions"?

Or are resumed sessions denied by default?

By "resumed sessions", I mean the ability to return to a web page,
after having been disconnected, and continue where you left off on,
say, a file download or a data entry form.

Thanks

Paul Greene

Re: "resumed sessions"

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, PAUL GREENE wrote:

> Is there a capability within Apache that prevents "resumed sessions"?
>
> Or are resumed sessions denied by default?
>
> By "resumed sessions", I mean the ability to return to a web page,
> after having been disconnected, and continue where you left off on,
> say, a file download or a data entry form.

One of the basic features of HTTP/1.1 is byte-range requests.  This means
that a client can ask for a particular part of a file.  This is the
feature I imagine clients could use to implement resumed sessions.  It is
also what Acrobat uses to feed PDF files a page at a time.

Can it be turned off?  Not easily.  You may be able to turn it off by
forcing apache to use HTTP/1.0, but I'm not sure.  Even if you can, it is
not a particularly healthy thing to do to your server.

I suggest you find another way to accomplish whatever restriction you are
trying to implement.

Joshua.