Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ic547 <ic...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/04 13:12:56 UTC

Re: Possible hack tool kit on tomcat 6.0.16

I have encountered this in September 2008.  Here is what I have found:

1)  There are several variants such as: fexcep OR fexcepkillshell OR
fexcepshell OR fexcepspshell OR fexception OR fexshell OR fexsshell

2)  It appears to be distributed using an automated scanner that looks for
the manager app running on Tomcat port 8080 with the default password still
intact: admin / admin

3)  The code deploys a webapp to Tomcat that:
a)  Checks if the OS is windows.  If not it terminates.
b)  If it is windows... then some variants immediately download and execute
a binary from one of several possible servers.  The binary presumably
contains further malware.
c)  Other variants apparently wait to be invoked again by an external host
that will provide the URL of a binary to download and execute.

THE SAFEGUARD AGAINST THIS IS TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT TOMCAT MANAGER APP
PASSWORD.  Or you could delete the manager webapp.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
ic547 wrote:
> I have encountered this in September 2008.  Here is what I have found:
>
> 1)  There are several variants such as: fexcep OR fexcepkillshell OR
> fexcepshell OR fexcepspshell OR fexception OR fexshell OR fexsshell
>
> 2)  It appears to be distributed using an automated scanner that looks for
> the manager app running on Tomcat port 8080 with the default password still
> intact: admin / admin
>
> 3)  The code deploys a webapp to Tomcat that:
> a)  Checks if the OS is windows.  If not it terminates.
> b)  If it is windows... then some variants immediately download and execute
> a binary from one of several possible servers.  The binary presumably
> contains further malware.
> c)  Other variants apparently wait to be invoked again by an external host
> that will provide the URL of a binary to download and execute.
>
> THE SAFEGUARD AGAINST THIS IS TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT TOMCAT MANAGER APP
> PASSWORD.  Or you could delete the manager webapp.

To be clear:
- there is no default manager app password
- the manager app is disabled by default.

My previous advice on this topic still stands:
http://markmail.org/message/jrqw75yw3d3xh3p6

Mark