Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mathijs van Veluw <m....@smscity.nl> on 2006/03/22 10:31:27 UTC

Execute apache or php as different user per virtualhost.

Hello there,

I want to execute apache and/or php as different user per virtualhost.

Also, CGI isn't an option. Currently the host uses the 'Apache 2.0
Handler'. We use Apache 2.0.x.

Is there a module or something build-in to apache which can do this?
Or is there any other way of getting this done?

Thx in advanced.

Re: Execute apache or php as different user per virtualhost.

Posted by Ivan Ristic <iv...@gmail.com>.
> Quote: "Also, CGI isn't an option. Currently the host uses the 'Apache 2.0 Handler'. We use Apache 2.0.x"
>
> SuExec needs CGI, so that isn't an option.

SuExec plus FastCGI should give you the performance *and* security.
There are two FastCGI modules available: mod_fastcgi (works fine for
me) and mod_fcgi (never used it).

--
Ivan Ristic, Technical Director
Thinking Stone, http://www.thinkingstone.com

Re: Execute apache or php as different user per virtualhost.

Posted by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de>.
* Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl> wrote:

<snip>

> >SuExec needs CGI, so that isn't an option.
>
> The PerChild MPM has AssignUserID.

Ah, does this work now ? That'd great news ...

BTW: there's metuxmpm: http://www.metux.de/mpm/
(okay, the project is not quite active at the moment :()

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: Execute apache or php as different user per virtualhost.

Posted by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl>.
>>> I want to execute apache and/or php as different user per virtualhost.
>>
>> SuExec. This should be on the users list, not on the developers list,
>> by the way.

> SuExec needs CGI, so that isn't an option.

The PerChild MPM has AssignUserID. And AFAIK, with suexec you can run a vhost
under its own ID, no need for CGI.

Joost

Re: Execute apache or php as different user per virtualhost.

Posted by Mathijs van Veluw <m....@smscity.nl>.

Joost de Heer wrote:
> Mathijs van Veluw wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I want to execute apache and/or php as different user per virtualhost.
>
> SuExec. This should be on the users list, not on the developers list, by
> the way.
>
> Joost

Quote: "Also, CGI isn't an option. Currently the host uses the 'Apache 2.0 Handler'. We use Apache 2.0.x"

SuExec needs CGI, so that isn't an option.
Is there some way that the apache handler or something can interact or something with SuExec?

Thx.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-0, 03/20/2006
Tested on: 3/22/2006 5:43:42 PM

Re: Execute apache or php as different user per virtualhost.

Posted by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl>.