Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by bunnydidit <bu...@redshift.com> on 2006/01/30 16:09:52 UTC

Different SSL session for each thread?

Hi,
Can JMeter create a different SSL session for each thread ("user")  where it
does a new handshake with the listener when it starts each thread's session?

We are using the SSLManager with a client certificate and we need to stress
test our SSL web listener (PKI) itself. When manually using a browser, each
browser has a separate handshake creating a different "session" in the PKI
listener itself. We need to emulate this.

>From our testing, it appears that JMeter will perform only ONE handshake
with the SSL listener which is then used for the entire Test Plan (all
threads). (e.g. when we configure multiple threads, say 40, it appears as if
one SSL handshake runs all the 40 threads within one session.) Is this a
correct understanding of how JMeter is designed/supposed to work?

If JMeter currently doesn't support this, we would like to take a look at
modifying the source. Any tips on where this could easily be controlled?
Would the JMeter developers consider adding this feature?

Thanks!
Bob Bogardus

Re: Different SSL session for each thread?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30/01/06, bunnydidit <bu...@redshift.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Can JMeter create a different SSL session for each thread ("user")  where it
> does a new handshake with the listener when it starts each thread's session?
>
> We are using the SSLManager with a client certificate and we need to stress
> test our SSL web listener (PKI) itself. When manually using a browser, each
> browser has a separate handshake creating a different "session" in the PKI
> listener itself. We need to emulate this.
>
> From our testing, it appears that JMeter will perform only ONE handshake
> with the SSL listener which is then used for the entire Test Plan (all
> threads). (e.g. when we configure multiple threads, say 40, it appears as if
> one SSL handshake runs all the 40 threads within one session.) Is this a
> correct understanding of how JMeter is designed/supposed to work?

Not deliberately - each thread is supposed to be a different connection...

However there is no control over the the way that the default Java
HTTP implementation handles connections.

> If JMeter currently doesn't support this, we would like to take a look at
> modifying the source. Any tips on where this could easily be controlled?

See if Sun provide properties to control this ;-)

> Would the JMeter developers consider adding this feature?

We already added the Apache HttpClient HTTP implementation which
should give you what you want.

Try the latest nightly and see if that works; if not, please raise a
Bugzilla issue with details of how to reproduce the problem and we
will try and fix it.