Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2003/05/22 08:07:41 UTC

question re: AST files

Hi,

I'm playing around with a patch for the language syntax, in particular the way methods get called.  Is it reasonable to modify the AST files in o.a.v.runtime.node?

They all start with a header similar to:

/**
 *  ASTMethod.java
 *
 *  Method support for references :  $foo.method()
 *
 *  NOTE :
 *
 *  introspection is now done at render time.
 *
 *  Please look at the Parser.jjt file which is
 *  what controls the generation of this class.
 *
 * @author <a href="mailto:jvanzyl@apache.org">Jason van Zyl</a>

But it appears that this code is not 100% generated, and is instead hand-edited.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
WILL

_______________________________________
Forio Business Simulations
Will Glass-Husain
(415) 440-7500 phone
(415) 235-4293 mobile

wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: question re: AST files

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 02:07, Will Glass-Husain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with a patch for the language syntax, in particular the way methods get called.  Is it reasonable to modify the AST files in o.a.v.runtime.node?
>
> They all start with a header similar to:
>

> /**
>  *  ASTMethod.java
>  *
>  *  Method support for references :  $foo.method()
>  *
>  *  NOTE :
>  *
>  *  introspection is now done at render time.
>  *
>  *  Please look at the Parser.jjt file which is
>  *  what controls the generation of this class.
>  *
>  * @author <a href="mailto:jvanzyl@apache.org">Jason van Zyl</a>
>

> But it appears that this code is not 100% generated, and is instead hand-edited.  Is this correct?

Yup. It's not very often now that the lexer and parser are generated but
nodes are not overwritten as they have been heavily modified over time.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: question re: AST files

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 02:07 AM, Will Glass-Husain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with a patch for the language syntax, in particular
> the way methods get called.  Is it reasonable to modify the AST files
> in o.a.v.runtime.node?
>
> They all start with a header similar to:
>

> /**
>  *  ASTMethod.java
>  *
>  *  Method support for references :  $foo.method()
>  *
>  *  NOTE :
>  *
>  *  introspection is now done at render time.
>  *
>  *  Please look at the Parser.jjt file which is
>  *  what controls the generation of this class.
>  *
>  * @author <a href="mailto:jvanzyl@apache.org">Jason van Zyl</a>
>

> But it appears that this code is not 100% generated, and is instead
> hand-edited.  Is this correct?

Yes - these are edited by hand.

> Thanks,
> WILL

> Forio Business Simulations
> Will Glass-Husain
> (415) 440-7500 phone
> (415) 235-4293 mobile
>
> wglass@forio.com
> www.forio.com

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)