Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Jason Kania <ja...@ymail.com.INVALID> on 2016/06/17 01:14:58 UTC

Timeout increase on spout

For a media analysis application that I am working on, I need the ability to increase the tuple timeout dynamically since the analysis can take a short or long while and I don't want to have to set the timeout for the worst possible case as that will lead to long pauses in the event of failure. I am thinking to use a simple heartbeat mechanism that adds another time increment periodically such that in the event that a failure occurs, the timeout can still happen within a short time frame.
I would like to implement this in something common like the kafka spout, but was wondering if there are some existing communication channels back to the spout that could be enhanced for this purpose or if I would have to add a whole listening thread to do so.
Any pointers in this direction would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason

Re: Timeout increase on spout

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.
STORM-1549 - https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1174

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:10 PM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.invalid>
wrote:

> I thought someone else was working on that already, but I cannot find the
> JIRA/Pull request for it. Does anyone else remember this?
>
>  - Bobby
>
>     On Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:18 PM, Jason Kania
> <ja...@ymail.com.INVALID> wrote:
>

>  For a media analysis application that I am working on, I need the ability
> to increase the tuple timeout dynamically since the analysis can take a
> short or long while and I don't want to have to set the timeout for the
> worst possible case as that will lead to long pauses in the event of
> failure. I am thinking to use a simple heartbeat mechanism that adds
> another time increment periodically such that in the event that a failure
> occurs, the timeout can still happen within a short time frame.
> I would like to implement this in something common like the kafka spout,
> but was wondering if there are some existing communication channels back to
> the spout that could be enhanced for this purpose or if I would have to add
> a whole listening thread to do so.
> Any pointers in this direction would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jason

Abhishek Agarwal

Re: Timeout increase on spout