Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Muly Oved <mu...@hotmail.com> on 2000/01/04 16:02:58 UTC

Component approach to web development using Cocoon

Hi

I am new to Cocoon and I wonder if Cocoon can do that:

To enable paralleled development of web sites using multiple tools and
methodologies I want to be able to develop the HTML pages using normal tools
and then combine several common fragments to one HTML. The fragments and the
place to put them can be identified by the html ID.

I can see I can use Cocoon for
XML+XSL -> HTML
Where the
XML has data
XSL mix presentation information and data pooling instruction.

What I need is
HTML1+HTML2+XSL -> HTML3
Where HTML3 is based on HTML1 with some of the sections of HTML1 replaced
with sections from HTML2, the instruction what to do is placed in the XSL
(Or other XML base language)

This enable to:
- Develop HTML1 as a purely static HTML document and just give some of the
DIV an ID.
- Develop HTML2 by other methodology by other people, which more suitable
for this part (DHTML/JavaScript/Applets/JSP/Cocoon).

And then in a sort of a build process combine the parts from HTML1 with
parts of HTML2 generating HTML3 ready for production.

The idea can be seen as a component approach to web development.

Does something like that exist (maybe with different terminology), planed or
make any sense?

Regards,

Muly.