Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> on 2017/04/18 08:33:35 UTC

A processing instruction is in RDF content. No processing was done.

What does this warning mean when I execute riot on a .rdf file?

$ riot --validate file.rdf
WARN  riot :: [line: 2, col: 35] {W119} A processing instruction is in RDF content. No processing was done.

Here's the head of the RDF/XML file

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"?>
<rdf:RDF xml:lang="en"

Re: A processing instruction is in RDF content. No processing was done.

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@gmail.com>.
An XML processing instruction provides a hint to processing software on how
to process an XML file. A processing instruction whose name is
"xml-stylesheet" and which includes a type "pseudo-attribute" with value
"text/xsl" (as in your example) is used to associate an XSLT stylesheet
with the XML, which the XML processor could use to transform the XML. A
processing instruction like this SHOULD also include an href to refer to
the stylesheet. e.g.

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="my-stylesheet.xsl"?>

Your example is missing that link, so it can't work.

But in any case, Jena's RIOT ignores processing instructions anyway, so
even if your processing instruction WERE valid, it still would not have any
effect. The warning is safe to ignore; it's just to let you know that the
instruction has had no effect, in case you WERE expecting that RIOT would
process the instruction.

On 18 April 2017 at 18:33, Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> wrote:

> What does this warning mean when I execute riot on a .rdf file?
>
> $ riot --validate file.rdf
> WARN  riot :: [line: 2, col: 35] {W119} A processing instruction is in RDF
> content. No processing was done.
>
> Here's the head of the RDF/XML file
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"?>