Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Döbel <Ch...@gmx.de> on 2009/02/23 19:35:38 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 and Windows Vista x64

Hello together,

I'm trying to use Tomcat 5.5 together with Windows Vista x64. Firstly I downloaded and installed Java JDK 1.5.0 and JRE 1.4.2. After doing that I got Apache Tomcat 5.5 from the server and installed this as well. Tomcat Monitor is starting but localhost:8080 was not found (in server.xml this localhost is named). On my x32 system (Windows Vista) everything is running fine. Do you know what I have to change?

After that I tried the x64 versions of tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe. These are not running at all. Do you know why?

Thanks

Christian

RE: Tomcat 5.5 and Windows Vista x64

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: "Christian Döbel" [mailto:Christian.Doebel@gmx.de]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5 and Windows Vista x64
>
> Firstly I downloaded and installed Java JDK 1.5.0
> and JRE 1.4.2.

Throw away the JRE 1.4.2; that will just confuse things.  Use the 1.5 (or better yet, 1.6) JDK and/or JRE.  Did you get the 32- or 64-bit version of the JDK?

> After doing that I got Apache Tomcat 5.5 from
> the server

What server is that?  Did you get the .zip or the .exe download?  I'd recommend the .zip, since it includes .bat scripts to allow Tomcat to run from a command prompt as well as install it as a service.

> After that I tried the x64 versions of tomcat5.exe and
> tomcat5w.exe. These are not running at all. Do you know why?

The "bit"-ness of the tomcat5*.exe programs must match that of the JVM being used.  If you have a 32-bit JRE/JDK, then the existing programs from the Tomcat download are appropriate; only download the 64-bit versions from SVN if you are running a 64-bit JVM.

 - Chuck