Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by seema pai <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/30 06:47:24 UTC

permission control or category-wise search with Lucene

Hi

My site has large database of Television and Movie titles, in English,
Spanish language. The movie data starts from year 1928 till date for
selected studios like MGM, Disney etc . The site user should be capable to
search movie or tv series by title, description, actors or characters. The
site-admin may provide some meta-data like actors, media-type for image
assets in stills, logos section for each title. The user will be permitted
to view features by specific category based on permissions. i.e if the user
doe not have permission for 'james bond' category, then the search should
not display any titles belonging to that category.
--how to use lucene with such access control ? what api's can be used ?
--the DB may have some in-active titles, how can I not index in-active
titles and be sure that they are not shown in search results ?
--other than providing meta-data for image files, is there anyother way
lucene can search image assets ?
--the description or synopsis of movie title will be stored in Html format,
is there any need to parse and store only the text ?
--how to show search results based on the zone or category chosen ? i.e show
results of news article first and then features and then television grouped?

rgds,
Seema

Re: Lucene in clustered environment

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Seema - please stop cross-posting your mails to those three e-mail
lists.  java-user is the most appropriate list for your posts.

     Erik

Posted by seema pai <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: permission control or category-wise search with Lucene

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
I explored the idea of Role-Based Access Control using Lucene at
http://affy.blogspot.com/2003/04/using-lucene-for-role-based-access.html.