Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2011/12/01 12:15:40 UTC

License of used 3rd party component Berkeley DB - clarification needed

Hi,

I think I was somehow to fast on my reaction regarding the license of the used
3rd party component Berkeley DB.
Below you find the license text.
For me this license look very permissive regarding Apache's 3rd party licensing
policy.

I will submit a corresponding JIRA-legal issue to get this license categorized
as category A.

Here is the license text, found in the used source tarball [1]. It is more or
less the same as the license text found at [2] for the recent version:
<license text>
/*-
  * $Id: LICENSE,v 12.9 2008/02/07 17:12:17 mark Exp $
  */

The following is the license that applies to this copy of the Berkeley DB
software.  For a license to use the Berkeley DB software under conditions
other than those described here, or to purchase support for this software,
please contact Oracle at berkeleydb-info_us@oracle.com.

/*
  * Copyright (c) 1990,2008 Oracle.  All rights reserved.
  *
  * are met:
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
  *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
  *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
  *    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
  *    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
  *    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.  For an
  *    executable file, complete source code means the source code for all
  *    modules it contains.  It does not include source code for modules or
  *    files that typically accompany the major components of the operating
  *    system on which the executable file runs.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY ORACLE ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
  * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
  * NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL ORACLE BE LIABLE
  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
  * CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
  * SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
  * BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
  * WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
  * OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
  * IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
  */
/*
  * Copyright (c) 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995
  *	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
  *
  * are met:
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  * 3. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
  *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
  *    without specific prior written permission.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  * SUCH DAMAGE.
  */
/*
  * Copyright (c) 1995, 1996
  *	The President and Fellows of Harvard University.  All rights reserved.
  *
  * are met:
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  * 3. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
  *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
  *    without specific prior written permission.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY HARVARD AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL HARVARD OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  * SUCH DAMAGE.
  */
/***
  * ASM: a very small and fast Java bytecode manipulation framework
  * Copyright (c) 2000-2005 INRIA, France Telecom
  * All rights reserved.
  *
  * are met:
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  * 3. Neither the name of the copyright holders nor the names of its
  *    contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
  *    this software without specific prior written permission.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
  * AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
  * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
  * LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
  * CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
  * SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
  * INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
  * CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
  * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
  * THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
  */
</license text>

[1] d70951c80dabecc2892c919ff5d07172-db-4.7.25.NC-custom.tar.gz
[2]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/downloads/oslicense-093458.html

Re: License of used 3rd party component Berkeley DB - clarification needed

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
2011/12/1 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>:
> On 12/1/11 1:53 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think I was somehow to fast on my reaction regarding the license of the
>>> used 3rd party component Berkeley DB.
>>

>> Interesting.  Wikipedia says it uses a strong copyleft license called
>> "sleepycat":
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepycat_License
>
> i made the same observation and i think Oliver is taken right to clarify it
> with legal. It would be of course nice we could use it ;-)

Absolutely.  And maybe we "patch" Wikipedia when we're done ;-)

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

this is the link to the corresponding JIRA-legal issue:

Please give your feedback here or at the JIRA-legal issue.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Right.  This would be a BSD-like license *except* for the Oracle requirement about what source code must be made available.  That's the toxic bit.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Am 02.12.2011 16:08, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> For replacements you probably don't want to go back
> to the version in FreeBSD ... I don't know if maybe
> sqlite which is rather small fits the bill[1].

sqlite is an excellent small and fast database. I would definitely fit
the bill. Worth an investigation.

Nevertheless, I would only look for a replacement for BDB in our help
storage. Using a binary format like BDB for storing the user extension
repository was a bad decision and shouldn't be continued.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: License of used 3rd party component Berkeley DB - clarification needed

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
FWIW;

Sleepycat was a company started by some guys from Berkeley
(like in BSD) that wrote the classic bdb still distributed
in the BSD4.4 derived distributions.

The company was later bought by Oracle.

For replacements you probably don't want to go back
to the version in FreeBSD ... I don't know if maybe
sqlite which is rather small fits the bill[1].

cheers,

Pedro.

[1] http://www.sqlite.org/

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.