Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/11/07 17:30:07 UTC

Language Selection?

Hi,

What do you think of adding a language to the skinconfig ? It would then add a
language code into the html tag like

<HTML lang="en">...
<HTML lang="en_au">...
<HTML lang="fr">...

etc.

This way we would get closer to passing 508 guildelines as explained here

http://bobby.watchfire.com:80/bobby/html/en/gls/g125.html

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme
excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the
enemy's resistance without fighting. - Sun Tzu, 300 B.C.

Re: Language Selection?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> There's vague plans to create a unified site description file, where this
> would fit.  When that comes, book.xml's will go away too.  Until then,
> book.xml is probably the best content metadata file we have..

um, beware -- making a single file the only way to go would be a mistake.
large sites often have different teams working on different portions,
and they're going to want the equivalent of the current book.xml
delegation rather than everyone frobbing on e master file..

Re: Language Selection?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:13:04AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 04:15, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:30:07AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > What do you think of adding a language to the skinconfig ? It would then
> > > add a language code into the html tag like
> > >
> > > <HTML lang="en">...
> > > <HTML lang="en_au">...
> > > <HTML lang="fr">...
> >
> > Wouldn't it be more appropriate in the individual files?
>
> yep. But that would require a DTD change ;)
>
> > Or how about specifying a default language in book.xml:
> >
> > <book software="Forrest"
> >       title="Apache Forrest"
> >       copyright="@year@ The Apache Software Foundation"
> >       language="en_au"
> >       xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
> > </book>
> >
> > and then in the future, individual pages could override it.
>
> You could do that but then you have to make sue you do it for every file.

Every book.xml file, ie one per directory, not per file.

> Where in reality most sites are all one language. IMHO there should be
> some mechanism to setup a default language - this could be overidden by
> book.xml or pages.

There's vague plans to create a unified site description file, where this
would fit.  When that comes, book.xml's will go away too.  Until then,
book.xml is probably the best content metadata file we have..

--Jeff

Re: Language Selection?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Language Selection?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:30:07AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do you think of adding a language to the skinconfig ? It would then add a
> language code into the html tag like
>
> <HTML lang="en">...
> <HTML lang="en_au">...
> <HTML lang="fr">...

Wouldn't it be more appropriate in the individual files?

Or how about specifying a default language in book.xml:

<book software="Forrest"
      title="Apache Forrest"
      copyright="@year@ The Apache Software Foundation"
      language="en_au"
</book>

and then in the future, individual pages could override it.

Since skin stylesheets are passed a $path, they could infer (via the
'dirname' template) the associated book.xml file, and then use document()
to fish out the default language.

Thoughts?

--Jeff