Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2006/11/29 21:27:19 UTC

JMX detection

    The big doc says UIMA automatically detects if JMX is available.  I
changed this to specify that the detection is if JMX is available in the
JVM (it could be Java 5, or Java 1.4 with the JMX reference impl from
Sun downloaded).  Is this correct - or does UIMA just detect Java 5.x or
later?

-Marshall

Re: JMX detection

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 11/29/06, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>     The big doc says UIMA automatically detects if JMX is available.  I
> changed this to specify that the detection is if JMX is available in the
> JVM (it could be Java 5, or Java 1.4 with the JMX reference impl from
> Sun downloaded).  Is this correct - or does UIMA just detect Java 5.x or
> later?

The automatic registration of an AE MBean with JMX only works on Java
5.x, because I believe only Java 5.x comes with a built-in "platform"
MBean server that's automatically created as part of the JVM.

If you are using Java 1.4 and JMX you have to pass a reference to your
MBeanServer in the additional parameters map when you create your
AnalysisEngine.

-Adam