Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lantz Johnson <la...@students.engr.scu.edu> on 2002/02/15 01:35:53 UTC

Running Tomcat for Multiple developers

Hi,

I need to use tomcat for 30 or so students who may or may not be logging
onto more than one system.  How do I get multiple instance's of tomcat
with one installation ?  I can not give everyone a separte server.xml
file with unique port numbers because I can not figure out how to tell
the startup.sh script where to find a server.xml file in, for example,
everyone's home directory or how that will affect other components of the
application.

Thanks.

Lantz Johnson
Unix System Administrator
Santa Clara University
(408) 554-6806

Re: Running Tomcat for Multiple developers

Posted by ts...@brutele.be.
Don't you have a simple sys admin problem ?
As working under Unix / Linux soft links should give you some possibilities,
shouldn't it ?
A little shell-script like this ?

1°.     mount ont /opt an nfs-shared d-rive where the common read-only
install is
2°.     add a link there where webapp is a local dir
          Smthg like ln -s  /opt/tomcat/webbapp ~/data/webapp
        (U have therefore in your userspace a reference to your own data
which are viewed as the Tomcat webapps directory)
3°.    Add similar soft-links for the logging directories & other user
specific files / directories

You end up with every user sharing one remote install of Tomcat ith there
own environement  !
How to do under Zindozs :-)) .... dunno !

Thomas,

--
Thomas SMETS
rue J. Wytsmanstraat 62
> I need to use tomcat for 30 or so students who may or may not be logging
> onto more than one system.  How do I get multiple instance's of tomcat
> with one installation ?  I can not give everyone a separte server.xml
> file with unique port numbers because I can not figure out how to tell
> the startup.sh script where to find a server.xml file in, for example,
> everyone's home directory or how that will affect other components of the
> application.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lantz Johnson
> Unix System Administrator
> Santa Clara University
> (408) 554-6806

Re: Running Tomcat for Multiple developers

Posted by ts...@brutele.be.
Have you read this :

http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/RUNNING.txt

<Snip>
(4) Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat 4 Instances

In many circumstances, it is desireable to have a single copy of a Tomcat 4
binary distribution shared among multiple users on the same server.  To make
this possible, you must configure a CATALINA_BASE environment variable (in
addition to CATALINA_HOME as described above) that points to a directory
that is unique to your instance.

When you do this, Tomcat 4 will calculate all relative references for files
in
the following directories based on the value for CATALINA_BASE instead of
CATALINA_HOME:
* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)
* logs - Log and output files
* webapps - Automatically loaded web applications
* work - Temporary working directories for web applications

If you do not set CATALINA_BASE to an explicit value, it will be initialized
to the same value as is set for CATALINA_HOME (which means that the same
directory is used for all relative path resoluations).
</Snip>

Thomas,

--
Thomas SMETS
rue J. Wytsmanstraat 62

Posted by Ricky Leung <ri...@booksense.com>.
You can have multiple instances of tomcat with 1 installation but every
instance *must* have their own instance.

To do that, simple set JAVA_HOME to where java is installed and set
CATALINA_HOME to be where tomcat4 is installed and lastly, set CATALINA_BASE
to be that user's home directory/tomcat.

Under CATALINA_BASE, there should be a conf, logs, webapps, and work, same
as the Tomcat install should have in order to run.  Each student can then
have their own complete set of webapps and server.xml as if there's only 1
instance on the server.  But, again, the server.xml will have to use
different port numbers.

Then each student simple runs $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh and
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh to start/stop tomcat, respectively.

You should provide them with an example of server.xml that they should place
under conf/ and have them just edit the port number.  Your sample should
only have 1 service and you can delete the bottom <service> tag used for
apache integration.

The Tomcat4 documentation area has more detail info on this under the
configuration section.

Ricky