Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Darby, Robert" <Da...@ali.com.au> on 2006/04/11 00:46:22 UTC

Is it possible to configure SVN to insert the commit comment into the text file you are committing?

Hi users at subversion.tigris.org,

I'm a new user at ALI and we're setting up a repository for our team. I
got this address from the guys at Collabnet. We are developing some
software in C. One team member has requested a change to our Subversion
environment. He want's his commit comment to be inserted into a header
block at the top of the file that he is checking in. Does anyone know
how we might set this up?

Hope you can assist and thanks for considering this issue.

Best Regards

Robert Darby

Sydney

Australia

Re: Is it possible to configure SVN to insert the commit comment into the text file you are committing?

Posted by Erik Wasser <er...@iquer.net>.
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 02:46, Darby, Robert wrote:

> Hope you can assist and thanks for considering this issue.

According to http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source this
doesn't sound like a good idea. In case you never do merges you have to
write your own hook (I guess).

--
So long... Fuzz

Re: Is it possible to configure SVN to insert the commit comment into the text file you are committing?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 11, 2006, at 02:46, Darby, Robert wrote:

> I’m a new user at ALI and we’re setting up a repository for our
> team. I got this address from the guys at Collabnet. We are
> developing some software in C. One team member has requested a
> change to our Subversion environment. He want’s his commit comment
> to be inserted into a header block at the top of the file that he
> is checking in. Does anyone know how we might set this up?

That probably falls under this FAQ entry, which explains why such a
thing is not a good idea, and why Subversion provides no support for it:

Posted by Rahul Bhargava <ra...@wandisco.com>.
Looks like your team member wants the CVS like $Log$ feature. Subversion
doesn't support it. It does support few RCS keywords but not $Log$. $Log$ is
pretty messy in CVS imho, glad that Subversion decided to not support it.

Rahul Bhargava
Subversion, CVS Solutions
http://www.wandisco.com

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Darby, Robert" <Da...@ali.com.au> wrote on 04/10/2006 08:46:22 PM:

> I’m a new user at ALI and we’re setting up a repository for our team. I
got
> this address from the guys at Collabnet. We are developing some software
in C.
> One team member has requested a change to our Subversion environment. He
want’
> s his commit comment to be inserted into a header block at the top of
the file
> that he is checking in. Does anyone know how we might set this up?
> Hope you can assist and thanks for considering this issue.

Subversion does not support this feature.  See this FAQ:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#log-in-source

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.