Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Hendra Setiawan <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/01 15:48:34 UTC

Scoring scheme modification

I am working on assignment about passage retrieval. I need to change the current scoring scheme (tf.idf.norm.etc..) especially removing normalization part. I tried to extends Similarity, but it always came out with normalization.

Do I have to change the code of Scorer class for every query ? Or is there more elegant way ?

Re: Scoring scheme modification

Posted by Brisbart Franck <Fr...@kelkoo.net>.
No, there's no need to change any Scorer class. You just have to extend
the Similarity class.
About the normalization, the norm factors are computed during the
indexation step and store in the index. If you keep using the same index
(I mean an index created using the default Similarity), you still have
the old norm factors computed with the 'norm' method of the default
Similarity.
So, don't forget to re-index after changing the Similarity.
I hope this helps.

Franck

Hendra Setiawan wrote:
> I am working on assignment about passage retrieval. I need to change the current scoring scheme (tf.idf.norm.etc..) especially removing normalization part. I tried to extends Similarity, but it always came out with normalization.
>
> Do I have to change the code of Scorer class for every query ? Or is there more elegant way ?

Franck Brisbart
http://www.kelkoo.com