Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/15 01:59:12 UTC

wicket 6 using external session

hej,
I need to handle 2 frameworks in the same time (one with legacy
application and wicket application that will handle pieces of old
functionality and new features - at least for some time until
everything is rewritten to wicket app) - maybe Im wrong here but this
means I need to share session between those to frameworks. has anyone
done something like that.

I thinking of using some key-value database that scales well or some
centralised custom rest service.
any thoughts on implementation provided that wicket stores a lot in
session, what about rendering to buffer and so on.

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński

kamiseq@gmail.com
pkaminski.prv@gmail.com

Re: wicket 6 using external session

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
the other technology is WebObjects and it uses its own server, I have
no idea if it can be easily ported to servlet container, anyway right
now it is not using one (as far I can tell).

> Wicket stores only the last used page instance in the http session.
> One instance!
> And only if the page is stateful.
> With a custom IPageStore impl you can make this even 0, but then each
> Ajax request will load the page from the disk.

maybe it is possible to make a hybrid implementation to store model
data in shared session and everything else locally because only wicket
will use it. where should I start digging.
IPageStore is one anything else?

what about rendering strategies - is this something I should worry about?

thanks

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

If the legacy app is again Servlet based then you can just add the new
Wicket app in the web.xml and serve anything that comes to /new/*, for
example.
If the app uses another technology then you will have to use shared DB
as you described.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:59 AM, kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hej,
> I need to handle 2 frameworks in the same time (one with legacy
> application and wicket application that will handle pieces of old
> functionality and new features - at least for some time until
> everything is rewritten to wicket app) - maybe Im wrong here but this
> means I need to share session between those to frameworks. has anyone
> done something like that.
>
> I thinking of using some key-value database that scales well or some
> centralised custom rest service.
> any thoughts on implementation provided that wicket stores a lot in
> session, what about rendering to buffer and so on.

Wicket stores only the last used page instance in the http session.
One instance!
And only if the page is stateful.
With a custom IPageStore impl you can make this even 0, but then each
Ajax request will load the page from the disk.

> pozdrawiam
> Paweł Kamiński
>
> kamiseq@gmail.com
> pkaminski.prv@gmail.com