Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com> on 2013/04/18 01:03:01 UTC

Template Creation / Network Fails

Greetings,

I've created a Cent 6.3 template. Prior to, I have setup the ifcfg-eth0 to look as the following:

DEVICE=eth0
TYPE=Ethernet
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

However, on boot the eth0 does not pull dhcp IP's. Along with that manually starting it error states

Device eth0 deos not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

Please advise.

- Maurice

RE: Template Creation / Network Fails

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
This is general linux and not CS related.

Remove the udev rule 70-persistent-net in /etc/udev/rules.d/

You MAC address is hardcoded and hence your eth0 does not come, this rule will be recreated when OS and udev start.

Posted by Michael Little <ml...@redapt.com>.
Yeah, a couple of things to remember when creating templates.

Delete persistant net rules for udev:
    /bin/rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Delete SSH host keys:
    /bin/rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*

Depending on your OS of choice (and if you are using Advanced networking)
you probably want to pre-create ifcfg-eth[0-8] files in case your guest end
up with multiple IPs.

Do these before you shutdown and make template.

--Mike

--
*Mike Little**  | * Senior Cloud Solutions Engineer
Redapt, Inc.      e: mlittle@redapt.com

*Building Information Technology that Propels Business*

Re: Template Creation / Network Fails

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Seems it's a new address MAC in the VM (create from template).
>
> On VM, in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-**persistent-net.rules, remove the line
> with "NAME="eth0"" at end,
> and modify the line with "NAME="eth1"" by "NAME="eth0"" (eth1->eth0)
>
> Restart VM.
>
> I don't know other more 'sexy' way to do this.
>
> Milamber

There isn't.
Thankfully udev should be gone in RHEL7

--David

Re: Template Creation / Network Fails

Posted by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com>.
Wow! I knew that, because last time I installed it I had to do that. Completely forgot!

Know anything about why cloud0 shows up before cloudbr0?

It seems to be causing some issues.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.