Posted to dev@giraph.apache.org by Amani Alonazi <am...@kaust.edu.sa> on 2012/08/22 07:12:25 UTC

Giraph Job "Task attempt_* failed to report status" Problem

Hi all,

I'm running a minimum spanning tree compute function on Hadoop cluster (20
machines). After certain supersteps (e.g. superstep 47 for a graph of
4,194,304 vertices and 181,566,970 edges), the execution time increased
dramatically. This is not the only problem, the job has been killed "Task
attempt_* failed to report status for 601 seconds. Killing! "

I disabled the checkpoint feature by setting the
"CHECKPOINT_FREQUENCY_DEFAULT = 0" in GiraphJob.java. I don't need to write
any data to disk neither snapshots nor output. I tested the algorithm on
sample graph of 7 vertices and it works well.

Is there any way to profile or debug Giraph job?
In the Giraph Stats the "Aggregate finished vertices" counter is it for the
vertices which voted to halt? Also the "sent messages" counter, is it per
each superstep or the total msgs?
If a vertex vote to halt, will it be activated upon receiving messages?

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Amani AlOnazi
MSc Computer Science
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

--

------------------------------
this email.

Re: Giraph Job "Task attempt_* failed to report status" Problem

Posted by Amani Alonazi <am...@kaust.edu.sa>.
Yes, I run the minimum spanning tree and it fails again. I increased the
Zookeeper counter also it fails again. The log files state that an "
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperExceptionConnectionLossException" occurred
before killing the job. If it's a memory problem, can I increase the memory
limit per each worker?

The page rank benchmark stop after maximum number of super step that is
specified by the user.

Thanks Vishal : )

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 23, 2012, at 6:25 PM, Vishal Patel <wr...@gmail.com> wrote:

As I said, failures on specific supersteps *might* happen, but its not
necessary.

Did you run the minimum spanning tree job again? Did it finish
successfully?

On a different note, what do you mean by "submitted a job of 90
supersteps"? I don't think you can specify the number of supersteps-- that
number is determined by the total number of iterations required before all
vertices vote to halt. That's not something you can specify..

--

------------------------------

Posted by Vishal Patel <wr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amani Alonazi <am...@kaust.edu.sa>.
Thank you Vishal.

Posted by Eli Reisman <in...@gmail.com>.
There are patches up to deal with this from inside the code. Giraph has a
strained relationship with the Hadoop progress mechanism currently. If you
are so enabled on your cluster, you can set mapreduce timeouts from the
command line (I can send you the specific commands if you want) but as of
this week one patch went in, and another is on the way (GIRAPH-274) to deal
with the most common moments in a job run where this occurs.

Sadly, I think Vishal might have called this one correctly. Given the
symptoms of your application failure, it sounds like a worker ran out of
memory and died during the computation. This causes the worker to stop
generating heartbeats to hadoop, and eventually times out. ZooKeeper has a
default timeout as well, that is much less forgiving, but on the client
side tends to continue operating when the Giraph worker ceases to function.
You might attempt to use GiRAPH-232 or MemoryUtils to add some memory
metrics to your vertex and check them in the Mapper Detail logs on the
Hadoop HTML job display.

In your vertex implementation, attempt to reuse Writable value objects when
its feasible to cut down on constant instantiations/destructions every
superstep as well. and finally, there are also command line options to
increase the size of your Netty RPC buffers. In fact, make sure your
-Dgiraph.useNetty option is =true as well.

Good luck, let us know how it goes,

Eli

Posted by Vishal Patel <wr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vishal Patel <wr...@gmail.com>.