Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2018/06/26 11:33:30 UTC

Change master to 3.3?

I’m thinking of creating the 3.2 fixes branch and flipping master over to 3.3 at some point later this week or early next week.   That should allow master to target the changes needed for Java 10/11.   Let me know if anyone has issues with doing so.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 3:48 PM, Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1. Would master stay on Java 8 or move up to Java 10?

I believe it would stay compatible with Java 8, but poms could be updated for Java 10 dependency requirements (jaxb-impl dependency added, api jars added, etc…).  Possibly add the module info things.

I’m also planning (already started working on it) moving from JUnit 4.12 to 5.2.   At this point, I’m just switching to the “vintage” engine as it’s doesn’t change much at all.  However, we can start thinking about leveraging some of the new things if we want.

Dan

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Andrey Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

I think we certainly should be thinking towards jdk11 but start with jdk10
and win some time. We know what is coming, JAXB and SOAP are our main pain
points, we could import these dependencies directly from get-go and be
quite ready for jdk11. Thoughts?

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> On Jun 27, 2018, at 11:03 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1, would be awesome to have jaxb optional in cxf for all JSON only users
> (and not just imported as a mandatory dep).

Might be an interesting exercise to see if it’s even possible.   I know we wouldn’t be able to  use blueprint or spring-dm to configure things without JAXB.   Thus, we’d likely need to update the features.xml or similar to make sure jaxb is installed if blueprint is used.   Not really sure.   Hmmm..   something to experiment with a bit.

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1, would be awesome to have jaxb optional in cxf for all JSON only users
(and not just imported as a mandatory dep). Anyway being ready in september
for the new LTS is clearly important for the community.

Thanks guys!
Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Andy McCright <j....@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Dennis Kieselhorst <de...@apache.org>.
Definitely +1

Re: Change master to 3.3?

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1

And how about for the master we also have spring 5 + spring boot 2, basically merge the spring-5-boot-2 branch?

Cheers
-------------
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.