Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Mi...@telekurs.de on 2002/07/25 20:01:57 UTC

Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Hi Rich,

> First draft of .htaccess tutorial-style documentation

"may have overriden directives" -> possible typo ("overridden")?

"cgi execution is not permitted" -> better write "CGI" uppercase

"whether a particular diretive is permitted" -> typo ("directive").

"Please see the authentication tutorial" -> would be worth a link
(to "auth.html" in the same directory)

"check the Context line for ".htaccess"" -> "full stop" is missing.

"(See section on how directives are applied, below.)" -> would be worth
a relative link (to the local target "#how"), then omit the ", below".

"How directives are applied:" -> remove the ":" from this headline.

"When (not) to use them" points to "When (not) to use .htaccess files",
should rather be identical.
"Server side includes" points to "SSI example" -> same as above.
"CGI" points to "CGI example" -> same as above.
(I suggest using the headlines as link texts, not vice versa.)

All of the modifications mentioned above and a little different

HTML coding (putting <code class="file">...</code> around file

and path names, and <code class="directive">...</code> around

directives outside example sections), and using two lines of CSS

(that may be removed without damaging anything) please find attached.

I wondered whether it might pay to put links to the corresponding
positions within the articles where directives are mentioned
(like "using the <a href="../mod/core.html#accessfilename">AccessFileName
directive</a>"); if used consequently, the links would be ready at
hand for the reader, while they currently are only listed at the
top of the article.
But if so, this would rather have to be used consistently in all
"howto" articles, thus I didn't try to invent a new rule.

Regards, Michael

(who would volunteer to translate this article to German)

(See attached file: htaccess.html)

Re: SetHandler DoIt

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Irmund Thum wrote:

> André Malo wrote:

>> Sorry, don't understand this answer.
> Sooo many people (see netcraft) are using Apache:
> You and me and even Bobby McGee...

That's fine.
But it would be very kind of you, if you could explain, where you see any
relationship between this fact and a discussion about the quality of docs
translation.

It would also be nice, if you don't do this at this list.

TIA,

nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;

Re: SetHandler DoIt

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
André Malo wrote:
> * Irmund Thum wrote:
>

>>Options generous benevolent chivalrous
>>SetHandler DoIt
>>

> huh?
>
> Sorry, don't understand this answer. My mail should become a base
> for some discussion...
>
> nd

Sooo many people (see netcraft) are using Apache:
You and me and even Bobby McGee...

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund     Thum
|  |

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess.html

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Irmund Thum wrote:

> Options generous benevolent chivalrous
> SetHandler DoIt

huh?

Sorry, don't understand this answer. My mail should become a base
for some discussion...

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess.html

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
André Malo wrote:
> Moin,

> * Finally, in my very humble opinion, for example, "you can" should not
>   always be translated as "man kann". The better way is mostly "Sie
>   können".

Options generous benevolent chivalrous
SetHandler DoIt
:-
--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund     Thum
|  |

Re: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess.html

Posted by André Malo <nd...@gmx.net>.
Moin,

Saturday, July 27, 2002, 7:43:47 PM, Irmund wrote:

>>> (translate this article to German)
>>>
>> I'll do it until Sunday...probably I'll add a line

[something was wrong with the tar file, nevertheless I could unpack it
..., perhaps my fault - don't know, but this only by the way]

You've done a lot of work, I think. But there are some issues to be
mentioned. Of course, this is just only my opinion. YMMV.

* your version is not synchronized to (english) CVS version (currently r1.5 in
  httpd-docs-2.0) in form and content (CSS classes / missing some
  paragraphs(???) etc.) (likely peanuts)

* The German ist not very fluently to read
  (sometimes you translate word by word and on the other hand
   you are too loose in your interpretation)

* There are some little inconsistencies (translate examples or not?)

* There are some mistakes in your translation (e.g. in section
  "When (not) to use .htaccess files" after the first example:
  / is not DocumentRoot!), so sometimes you modify the original meaning.

* Finally, in my very humble opinion, for example, "you can" should not
  always be translated as "man kann". The better way is mostly "Sie
  k�nnen".

I revised the whole document and found that a simple patch was not very
applicable. Attached a second version of htaccess.html.de.

No offense meant!

nd
--
die (eval q-qq[Just Another Perl Hacker
]

Re: Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
> Michael.Schroepl@telekurs.de wrote:
>

>> (who would volunteer to translate this article to German)
>>
> I'll do it until Sunday...probably I'll add a line

here we go...

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund     Thum
|  |

Re: Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Irmund Thum wrote:

> Rich Bowen wrote:

> >>I'll do it until Sunday...probably I'll add a line
> >>"see also"
> >>/usr/sbin/httpd -L, man htpasswd
> >>and a working full example
> >>

> > I'm a little confused by this comment. If there is stuff that you want
> > to add to the document, it would be nice to add it in the English
> > version also. What kind of a "working full example" is it that you want
> > to add?
> >
> no worries - htaccess.de.html is a German translation very close to your
> original with just one extra line:
> /usr/sbin/httpd -L
> your examples are just good enough :-

OK. That's fine.

/usr/sbin/httpd is not the "standard" place where httpd gets put - that
would be /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd - so this might be a little
confusing to some folks, if they have done a straight ./configure source
installation.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
Author - Apache Administrator's Guide

Re: Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Irmund Thum wrote:
>

>>Michael.Schroepl@telekurs.de wrote:
>>
>>>(who would volunteer to translate this article to German)
>>>

>>I'll do it until Sunday...probably I'll add a line
>>"see also"
>>/usr/sbin/httpd -L, man htpasswd
>>and a working full example
>>

> I'm a little confused by this comment. If there is stuff that you want
> to add to the document, it would be nice to add it in the English
> version also. What kind of a "working full example" is it that you want
> to add?

no worries - htaccess.de.html is a German translation very close to your
original with just one extra line:
/usr/sbin/httpd -L
your examples are just good enough :-
--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund     Thum
|  |

Re: Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

http://kenya.rcbowen.com/

Re: Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> > All of the modifications mentioned above and a little different
> >
> > HTML coding (putting <code class="file">...</code> around file
> >
> > and path names, and <code class="directive">...</code> around
> >
> > directives outside example sections), and using two lines of CSS
> >
> > (that may be removed without damaging anything) please find attached.
>
> I will do that in my next commit.

OK, I don't think I like this at all. This makes ".htaccess" orange all
over the place. Is that really what people want to see happen?

Of course, I realize this will become unnecessary once we convert this
to xml, so perhaps I'll just put in the <code> tags and leave out the
style lines at this time.

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings

Re: Antwort: cvs commit: httpd-docs-1.3/htdocs/manual/howto htaccess .html

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 Michael.Schroepl@telekurs.de wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> > First draft of .htaccess tutorial-style documentation
>
> ... Many good suggestions here ...

Thanks. All suggestions applied.

> All of the modifications mentioned above and a little different
>
> HTML coding (putting <code class="file">...</code> around file
>
> and path names, and <code class="directive">...</code> around
>
> directives outside example sections), and using two lines of CSS
>
> (that may be removed without damaging anything) please find attached.

I will do that in my next commit.

> I wondered whether it might pay to put links to the corresponding
> positions within the articles where directives are mentioned
> (like "using the <a href="../mod/core.html#accessfilename">AccessFileName
> directive</a>"); if used consequently, the links would be ready at
> hand for the reader, while they currently are only listed at the
> top of the article.
> But if so, this would rather have to be used consistently in all
> "howto" articles, thus I didn't try to invent a new rule.

I actually did that in the next commit

Many thanks. This was very helpful.