Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl> on 2005/04/01 21:55:50 UTC

FOP's hyphenation patterns have moved to offo.sourceforge.net

Hi,

The hyphenation patterns that are used by FOP, have been removed from
the FOP code base. They must now be obtained separately, from the OFFO
project, http://offo.sourceforge.net.

This move has been made due to licensing issues. FOP uses the
hyphenation algorithms first used in the TeX program. Over the years
the TeX user community have created hyphenation patterns for a large
number of languages. For usage in FOP these patterns have been
converted to FOP's XML format, but otherwise they have not been
changed. Therefore the original licenses apply. Many of these are not
compatible with FOP's Apache license. Therefore it has been decided to
move the distribution of the hyphenation pattern files to a separate
project.

If you have any proposal for improvement or other remarks, please let
us have them. I regret that the feedback link at the bottom of the
OFFO web pages is not quite right (it should be
users.sourceforge.net). It is a good idea to post your feedback on
this list.

In this connection it may be appropriate to mention that I have tried
to use OpenOffice.org's hyphenation patterns in FOP, but I failed. The
OOo patterns contain less information than FOP's XML format. FOP
requires some of that information. It would seem possible to use OOo's
hyphenation patterns in FOP using the JTextCheck framework,
http://linux.org.mt/projects/jtextcheck/index.html. But there is no
indication that there is a sufficient need to justify the coding
effort needed to make this work.

Regards,
Simon Pepping
FOP committer