Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diana Shannon <te...@mac.com> on 2002/04/18 22:24:41 UTC

entry points [was:Re: Ok, I give up]

Robert:

> How about defining different entry points to cocoon. Example tracks:
> 1. total newbie - very basic stuff to get them started
> 2. experienced web developer but inexperienced at java or XSLT
> 3. experienced web developer with java but inexperienced with XSLT
> 4. inexperienced (serious) web developer that knows XSLT well
> 5. ???

Very good idea. We could develop audience profiles for these groups that
include assumptions about concepts most likely to need reinforcement,
based on pre-Cocoon preconceptions. This stuff pops up all the time on
the user list, like folks wanting to override a serialization
configuration from a stylesheet's xml:output method.

> Everybody seems to be coming from cocoon at different angles. Define
> what is common to all and then split out to the entry points.

Couldn't agree with you more. However, Cocoon as "glue technology" has
an extremely varied potential user base. Also, think about how many
flavors of experienced web developer types there are. I'm not saying it
shouldn't/couldn't be done, but the audience comes with a lot of
potential "baggage."

> For something like #4, speaking from experience, I would like to see
> how you take an app that uses the XSLT/XPath document function to
> aggregate content and turn that into a cocoon app that aggregates
> content before the final transformation.  I could provide the XSLT/XML
> that aggregates content in the final transform using document(), but I
> would not trust myself to give the best cocoon conversion :(

So how does that translate, ideally, into documents that fill up a
learning path? Is this a tutorial directed specifically at audience #4?
Or a combination of documents? If so, what types of documents?

Diana

Re: entry points [was:Re: Ok, I give up]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Robert Koberg wrote:

> > Couldn't agree with you more. However, Cocoon as "glue technology" has
> > an extremely varied potential user base.
>
> Yes, that was what I was trying to address.

Ehm, people: this list is supposed to talk to an instrstructure system
about documents, *not* about some 'cocoon' specific documentation
contents.

Please, let's move this over to Cocoon-dev, thanks.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: entry points [was:Re: Ok, I give up]

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Diana Shannon wrote:

> Robert:
>
>> How about defining different entry points to cocoon. Example tracks:
>> 1. total newbie - very basic stuff to get them started
>> 2. experienced web developer but inexperienced at java or XSLT
>> 3. experienced web developer with java but inexperienced with XSLT
>> 4. inexperienced (serious) web developer that knows XSLT well
>> 5. ???
>

> Very good idea. We could develop audience profiles for these groups
> that include assumptions about concepts most likely to need
> reinforcement, based on pre-Cocoon preconceptions. This stuff pops up
> all the time on the user list, like folks wanting to override a
> serialization configuration from a stylesheet's xml:output method.
>
>> Everybody seems to be coming from cocoon at different angles. Define
>> what is common to all and then split out to the entry points.
>

> Couldn't agree with you more. However, Cocoon as "glue technology" has
> an extremely varied potential user base.

Yes, that was what I was trying to address.

> Also, think about how many flavors of experienced web developer types
> there are. I'm not saying it shouldn't/couldn't be done, but the
> audience comes with a lot of potential "baggage."

I would keep #2 as generic as possible. Over time, the users can fill in
the bulk of the specifics for a particular way in. I personally f�,�
this level of involvement would need a hierarchical organization of
contributors - not common ownership... hence some type of user
management. But that could be put off well into the future, I guess,
until there is a solid system in place.

>> For something like #4, speaking from experience, I would like to see
>> how you take an app that uses the XSLT/XPath document function to
>> aggregate content and turn that into a cocoon app that aggregates
>> content before the final transformation.  I could provide the
>> XSLT/XML that aggregates content in the final transform using
>> document(), but I would not trust myself to give the best cocoon
>> conversion :(
>

> So how does that translate, ideally, into documents that fill up a
> learning path? Is this a tutorial directed specifically at audience
> #4? Or a combination of documents? If so, what types of documents?

I tried to use that as an example of - "here's how you do it with XYZ
technology" - "and here is how we would optimize it for/with cocoon." I
guess it would be a tutorial/philosophy thing.

Perhaps there is a page - "What do you want to do with Cocoon?" That
page is set up to look like a well organized FAQ that strings the user
out to something that they recognize. The path explores how they would
normally do things and compares that to how it should be done in cocoon
(always linking to more details). After they get exposed to cocoon in a
light that allows them to see, the path takes them into the common
cocoon learning/docs. That path brings them to the central idea of
cocoon with respect to their needs.

best,
-Rob