Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lance Semmens <la...@essential.com.au> on 2005/03/02 06:42:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse proxy with password

Hi, I'm new to apache httpd and I'm trying to configure a reverse proxy.
I'm wanting to proxy requests to a webapp running on tomcat on the same
machine as httpd
I'd like httpd to request a username / password before proxying calls to
tomcat.
I've tried using a <VirtualHost> but the documentation is a bit too techy
for me and I don't really understand what I should be specifying for
DocumentRoot and ServerName.

Lets assume that
	apache is running on http://localhost:8080
	my webapp on tomcat is running on http://localhost:80/my_webapp
	i'd like requests to http://localhost:8080/my_webapp to be proxied
to http://localhost:80/my_webapp

Thanks in advance.
Lance.

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy with password

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:12:26 +1030, Lance Semmens
<la...@essential.com.au> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to apache httpd and I'm trying to configure a reverse proxy.
> I'm wanting to proxy requests to a webapp running on tomcat on the same
> machine as httpd
> I'd like httpd to request a username / password before proxying calls to
> tomcat.
> I've tried using a <VirtualHost> but the documentation is a bit too techy
> for me and I don't really understand what I should be specifying for
> DocumentRoot and ServerName.
>
> Lets assume that
>         apache is running on http://localhost:8080
>         my webapp on tomcat is running on http://localhost:80/my_webapp
>         i'd like requests to http://localhost:8080/my_webapp to be proxied
> to http://localhost:80/my_webapp

You shouldn't really need a <VirtualHost> for this.  Just
ProxyPass /my_webapp http://localhost:80/my_webapp
ProxyPassReverse /my_webapp http://localhost:80/my_webapp

You will, of course, need to adjust Listen and ServerName to specifiy
the 8080 port.

Joshua.